Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

i219-LM vlan tagging/disabled interface latest w10 insider "slow" build

44addb31b0
Beginner

I realize that Windows 10 insider builds are not likely supported; however, I noticed that vlan tagging no longer seems to function after going from 1903 (working) to the latest "slow" ring which is build 19025.1051 (191112-1414).

I can add a new vlan using powershell or the proset adapter configuration utility (from the Microsoft Store) but the interface shows up as disabled and cannot be enabled.

Is there anything I could provide to Intel to help with this issue? I haven't tried a fresh installation on this machine yet; I'm going to see if we have another laptop available to test with first.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, can you send us the SSU of your system for us to check? Please follow the steps here:

1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open SSU.exe

3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

4- When finished scanning, click "Next".

5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

And also, can you clarify if you are having the same issue in Windows 10 build 1909?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Just to make sure I didn't have some strange config, I got a new NVMe SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro 1909 from the latest ISO from Microsoft , ran all updates for the platform (Lenovo T480) and Windows. With the latest Proset App and drivers (12.18.9.10), I was able to configure VLAN interfaces with no issue. They came up as enabled, I could assign an IP, etc.

The next step was to login to Windows Insider and install the latest build (currently 10.0.19025.1052). Please note, I did NOT remove the vlan config before updating to the insider build (completely forgot). After the install, the VLAN config was gone. I tried creating a new VLAN interface and had the same result as my original post i.e. the VLAN interface showed disabled.

I did get the SSU but I'm a little hesitant to post it as I'm not entirely sure what's in it (yet). I did a cursory search and it seemed fairly innocuous. I'm more than happy to send direct if that works (or I'll post after some review).

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

Thank you for the update. And for me to better understand the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Your system is a laptop and the complete model is Lenovo T480?
  2. Have you tried re-installing the Ethernet LAN driver?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

The system is a Lenovo T480.

I just tried reinstalling the driver; no change. I still cannot enable the ethernet adapter.

Also, when I try and add an attachment to my support case or a direct message to you, it just hangs my browser for whatever reason. Tried Chrome and Edge... same result.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

Can you try to send the SSU logs via private message to me? Just update the thread once you successfully sent it to me for me to check.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

I sent the SSU in a private message. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

Thank you for the sending the SSU. Can you try this driver, this is Intel's latest driver for your Ethernet.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

What version does the SSU show me on? When I do an md5sum of the file I have on my local machine, it's the same file in your link above.

PROWinx64.exe 01e8b74359f9f22aa969867c2e4edce7

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

What we have is a generic driver that you can try. However, if your card has been altered by Lenovo, then it is best to coordinate with them if they will release a driver that fixes the changes made by the OS after the recent update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

In the past, Lenovo has not provided driver updates; we have always had to wait for updated Intel drivers. It was like this for the i217-LM and the i219-LM. In this case, I'm running the Intel drivers straight off the website which I would expect to work (and they don't). I'm confused what you mean by "altered"? Like physically altered?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

I just want to check if you already tried to talk to Lenovo regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

Let me explain the the word the I used which is "altered". Every 3rd party system builder or manufacturer

buys the chip from Intel. And from that chip, they can build a card with it or embed it on a motherboard or laptop. When they do that, they can alter some specifications on base the product that they are building. And also the implementation will be different since they have their own component to use with it like the motherboard. That is why it is best to contact the manufacturer for further support, customer's can always try our drivers however if there are issues, it is better to contact the manufacturer.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

Hi Michael,

While I understand what you're saying, I was hoping for a more technical answer, log analysis etc. on why you'd think it's a Lenovo thing. I appreciate your help nonetheless. I have reverted back to 1909 rather than chase this one down. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

Thank you for your feedback. As much as I want to provide technical details on the changes that they made, the truth is we don't have that data. And Lenovo is just one of them. It is hard to keep track on how they implement the Ethernet cards. I hope you also understand.

Thank you for your feedback regarding build 1909. We will document this feedback.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hello 44addb31b0,

We would like to ask if you have read our last post and if you have additional questions.

Best regards,

Alfred S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
44addb31b0
Beginner

Yes. No additional questions. Thanks!

0 Kudos