Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

i219-v, interrupt moderation, slow downloads

WWadd
Beginner

Hi,

Brand new build: ASUS Z270-A, i7 7700K, NVMe SSD, 16GB RAM, fully updated Windows 10 Pro 64.

Recently paid ISP for faster connection. All my machines - Win 10 laptops, older i7 desktop, ... get almost 300mbps download speeds. The i219-v on the ASUS tops out at 250mbps.

Fully updated OS, BIOS, and Intel driver. I've discovered that turning off adaptive interrupt moderation and setting to medium lets me get almost the full download speed on the ASUS. All my other machines - much slower than the 7700K build - get full speed even in adaptive mode.

If I connect via the same cable and router using a cheap USB 3.0 - GigE dongle the ASUS Z270-A downloads at 300mbps so it doesn't seem to be a windows issue.

If I turn off interrupt moderation on all machines they get 250mbps but the i219-v only hits 200. I'm concerned that the interrupt moderation "fix" is masking a deeper problem with this build.

Very concerning that the "fastest" machine in the house has the slowest network performance.

Please advise,

Z.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi zoltanthegypsy,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Community.

Lowering the value or turning off interrupt moderation is best for handling many small packets so the driver is more responsive to incoming and outgoing packets.

You may also look into disabling other I219-V features such as offloading, energy efficient ethernet and flow control to check if it help in your scenario.

On the reason why other systems has better network performance, you can compare the features of the network adapter and GigE dongle vs I219-V for further isolation.

I'd suggest contacting ASUS support for similar issue reported and solution as our I219-V is an Ethernet Controller, further customization might have done to better fit into their system.

Regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi zoltanthegypsy,

We'd like to check if you still need assistance regarding I219-V.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
WWadd
Beginner

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the reply and checking back. I never received email notification so didn't realize you had replied.

I haven't resolved this. Still baffled by why much slower machines report better download speeds.

I'm starting to suspect there's something in the moderation behavior that has a sort of "beat frequency" with the sites used to test download speeds. With some sites I get better results, but the main comcast test site does very poorly with this particular i219-V.

I'm just going to live with it for now.

BTW, ASUS support was not helpful

regards,

Z.

0 Kudos