Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

i219-v with EdgeX = Unstable Win10

BPend
Beginner

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/EdgeX-router-freezes-my-computer/td-p/2600599/highlight/false

This appears to be a intel driver related issue in Windows, Its making my computer very unstable, I tried all driver versions and until I introduce the EdgeX SFP into my network I had this issue, but only on Windows with the intel adapter, my linux and mac machines are fine. Any and all help would be great, I am seeing a huge DPC spike on ndis.sys on even small http requests but its random and not consistent. However it renders my system inoperable until I unplug my ethernet and plug it back in; I've tried new cables, new mobo (rma thinking it was an asus issue), this is a z370-e gaming. If you read inside the other forums it appears to be sending dup awk requests. However even resetting the network stack is not solving anything.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. This is an integrated Ethernet controller in the ASUS Z370-E, are you using the latest driver from Intel or from ASUS's site? Is the Linux machine mentioned using the same board, or have you tried Linux on the same machine? Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

Latest drivers; tried both asus and intel with same out come after a safe mode removal a few times. The linux machine is not its a server, however the wireless ap and devices are fine. I will create a log file and save shortly.

0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

Attached

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Thank you for the SSU log. Please try to disable EEE (energy efficient Ethernet) and ULPM (Ultra low power mode) in the advanced tab of your adapter in device manager. Also disable Low Power mode in power management. See if this does not resolve the issue after a reboot. Let us know if you have any questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

I did try this before to no avail but will again. I also removed Acronis as I noticed some weird tcp connections coming from it (since then no issue but we shall see, this issue didnt see to ever stem from a software package I downloaded)

0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

Nope. did it again. It appears PID 0 (system process) is spawning a bunch of TCP http requests that then move ot time_wait when I unplug my Ethernet to unfreeze, mostly from akamai but that is just where the connect was from originally loading content. It appears to dump core 0 into overdrive, 100% until I remove the Ethernet cable. This is more than me reporting this over at the UBNT community.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, We will continue to investigate this issue. When the system freezes what happens exactly, and if you wait does it eventually regain function? Would you be able to provide screen shots showing the excessive DPC count and http requests? When you tried the Intel drivers did you try 23.5 and 23.4? Let us know if you have any other questions. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 (23.5) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28415/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 (23.4) Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

Sometimes it regain function; sometimes it does not unless I unplug the Ethernet cable. I'd say mostly it happens on chrome, but its happened in any product that connects outside. I've tried both drivers and its the same issue. The DPC count on LatMon goes above 3k, on the other dpc counter (the standalone) it hits hundreds of thousands. As for tcp connections its just duplicating whatever I have open until I refresh the line or it dies out itself. I've tried all drivers from 2 years ago up to today. And the issue seems to persistent. This happened before my move, and after (so not a line issue), but seems to be introduce when I added the edge router into my network. But only on this device now.

0 Kudos
WhyeBee_T_Intel
Employee
Hi Bpend, Thank you for the update. We will further look into this. Thank you. Best Regards, Whybe T Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

It appears to be sending a metric ton of TCP Dup ACK requests to and from the win10 to whatever site I am connected to. I finally got it on packet capture. It sent millions of these in a matter of seconds.

0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

So I have found the issue; on the er-x with hwnat offload enabled; I get these dup ack's, with it disabled I do not. However my performance is stuck on 350mbps in both iperg and synthetic bench marks.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Thank you for the reply. Just to be sure, are you getting 350Mbps on the Linux server and Mac or is the performance better? Would you be able to provide the "ethtool <interface>" and" ethtool -K <interface>" output of the Linux server or the settings on the Mac Ethernet adapter? We would like to compare the settings to see if something is enabled that is creating the degradation in performance. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

It appears the ER-X wont run in hwnat offload thus reducing my overall performance across network to 350mbps~, when I enabled hwnat offload I get roughly 950mbps~ however my dup ack issue (broadcast storm it appears) is hitting my windows 10 box (with the intel card) we are talking about. This does not effect the server which is plugged in with intel cards (esxi) The mac is wireless however so no issues there. The performance degradation is related to the settings on my router, however the broadcast storm that is happening is a LAYER 2 loop (or so it appears).

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Thank you for the update. Please let us know what Intel Ethernet adapter is being used on the ESXi server. Would you still be able to provide the configurations of the other machines that are running well on the network? For ESXi it will be "esxcli network nic get -n <interface>". We want to compare the features that are enabled to check if the issue can be isolated to a feature that is enabled in the I219-V. Let us know if you have any questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

Intel 82576

esxcli network nic get -n vmnic0 Advertised Auto Negotiation: true Advertised Link Modes: 10BaseT/Half, 10BaseT/Full, 100BaseT/Half, 100BaseT/Full, 1000BaseT/Full Auto Negotiation: true Cable Type: Twisted Pair Current Message Level: 7 Driver Info: Bus Info: 0000:07:00.0 Driver: igb Firmware Version: 1.7.2 Version: 5.0.5.1 Link Detected: true Link Status: Up Name: vmnic0 PHYAddress: 1 Pause Autonegotiate: true Pause RX: true Pause TX: true Supported Ports: TP Supports Auto Negotiation: true Supports Pause: true Supports Wakeon: true Transceiver: internal Virtual Address: 00:50:56:59:ed:cf Wakeon: MagicPacket(tm)

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Thank you for the outputs. We will check on this and update you soon. Let us know if there are any changes or questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

Also other users on ubnt community forum reporting same issue; shared this community link with them.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Please let us know if segmentation and/or checksum offloading is enabled on the ESXi system 82576 adapter. The following commands should provide the necessary output: "network nic cso get <interface>" and "network nic tso get <interface>". Let us know if you have any updates or questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
BPend
Beginner

I can provide this; however Ubnt has had me try their beta OS distro on my router and it has thus far elevated my issue. Going to test it and see where we are at and circle back to you.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Bpend, Thank you for the update. We will wait for you to test out the beta OS. Let us know when you are able to get the outputs. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos