Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

i225 - Enable 1 PPS output to ososcilloscope

amiroo
Novice

Hi,

I want to enable 1 pps output to my i225 NIC to measure its syncronization accuracy.

After syncing the time with ptp4l, I use sysfs commands to enable PPS output:

echo 1 > /sys/class/ptp/ptp1/pps_enable

echo 2 0 > /sys/class/ptp/ptp1/pins/SDP0

echo '0 0 0 1 0' > /sys/class/ptp/ptp1/period

However, when I connect oscilloscope to any of the SDPs on the i225, i cannot see any signal on the oscilloscope. Does anyone have an experience with it?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Firstly, just to inform you since we have seen that you have posted multiple threads for the same concern we will be tagging the other case as duplicate and continue on this thread instead. 

Based on the picture that you provided this is a discreet NIC. Can we also request for you to provide us a photo of the markings on the back side of the adapter so we can fully validate it.

Also we would like to know the reason why you are needing 

to enable your I225 NIC to "enable 1 PPS output to ososcilloscope" so we can provide you our recommendations. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
amiroo
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your message, sorry for the multiple threads.

I have attached the photo of the back side of the NIC.

I have two servers, each with an i225 NIC. I would like to output 1 PPS signal from both, and measure the PTP synchronization accuracy.

I did the same configuration with i210 card, and it works fine. But i225 does not!

Best regards

Amir

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Thank you very much for providing us the requested information and for advising us. We will need to further check on your concern, please provide us some time to have this check. Would it be ok if we can ask between 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

As per further checking, we regret to inform you that I225-T1 BLK network card Software Defined Pins are not able to send a 1 PPS clock signal, unfortunately this NIC doesn't support 1 PPS output.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
amiroo
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please let me know which i225 version supports that? Not at all?

Also, it would be great to know which x550 version support 1PPS too.

Thanks and Best Regards

Amir

0 Kudos
LasseJohnsen
Beginner

Hi,

I'm just not certain that is "completely" true.... isn't SDP0 connected to the place on the board indicated below? If I want, I can use it for both extts and perout no? (eeeh, 1PPS IN & OUT as it were)

Separately, why is everything so secret now? Why do we have to discover what pins are intended for ourselves? Can't you just publish the information publicly? This board has support for PTM, so it's really interesting for high accuracy sync purposes.... Why have you not since the i210 exposed SDP headers on a retail card? The xxv710-da2t is an awful card from a timing perspective for more reasons than I care to list. In the first instance its SMA ports stop working when an SFP is removed even temporarily etc. etc.

I'd like to know what the pins in the 2x4 block, the 1x2 block and the holes without headers in the 2x3 block are connected to. Can you tell me, or is it a secret?

All the best,

Lasse

Timebeat.app

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 23.54.02.png

Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Thank you very much for responding, we will try to further check on your follow up concerns. Please provide us some time to have this check. Would it be okay if we can provide you an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

As per further checking, we do apologize however all versions of i225 does not support the feature however, we do have specialized adapters that have the external 1PPS signal output.

This would be;

XXV710-DA2T

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/network-io/ethernet/network-adapters/ethernet-adapter-xxv710-da2t-brief.html

There is also another that has been announced and should be released soon, the E810-XXVDA4T

if you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
amiroo
Novice

Thanks a lot.

I have one last question. In addition to i210 and x710, what are the other Intel NICs that support 1 PPS output?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

As previously advise, there are only 2 adapters that can support the feature "1PPS signal output" for now, that would be the XXV710-DA2T and E810-XXVDA4T that should be released soon. 

if you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise if we can already close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
amiroo
Novice
Hi,

Can you tell me where can I order the xxv710-da2t card?
0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Thank you for responding. You can try checking the availability using our online market place on your local geo. 

https://marketplace.intel.com/s/?language=en_US

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise if we can already close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello amiroo,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos