afei786
Beginner

ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI install ubuntu 22.04 , but I226-V cannot be driven

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Poojitha
Employee

Hi Afei786,

Thank you for your response and for providing additional information regarding the driver support for the Intel I226 adapter embedded in the ROG STRIX Z790-A system.

We understand your concern about ASUS only providing Windows drivers and not supporting Linux. In this case, we recommend reaching out to ASUS directly to inquire about any potential solutions or workarounds they may offer for Linux compatibility.

Thank you for your understanding

Best regards,

Poojitha

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello Afei786,

Good day!

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum.

To proceed further, kindly help us with the below details.

-Complete model details of the Ethernet controller.

-Please confirm if the Ethernet controller is embedded with the mainboard.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello Afei786,

Good day!

We are following up to find out if you were able to find the information we requested . Please reply to confirm, so we can continue helping on a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos
afei786
Beginner

I am very sorry for not replying to you in time.

Details about the Ethernet controller are as follows:

Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:125c] (rev 06)
DeviceName: Intel I226-V LAN
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8867]
I'm pretty sure the Ethernet controller is embedded with the mainboard!
Hope to reply as soon as possible and solve the problem.

thanks

0 Kudos
afei786
Beginner

mainboard:ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI

System: ubuntu 22.04

CPU:I9-13900KF

Ethernet controller:  Intel I226-V LAN

Intel Corporation Device [8086:125c] (rev 06)

I installed the Ubuntu system,but the wired network driver doesn't work. I am not sure if the driver version is too high, or there is no driver developed for ubuntu, if there is a driver available, please let me know.

thanks

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello Afei786,

Good day!

Thank you for your response. As per your information, we have confirmed that the Intel I226 V LAN is integrated with the ROG STRIX Z790-A motherboard. It is worth noting that if the adapter on the ROG STRIX Z790-A system is not functioning, the Intel driver may not work. Therefore, we kindly suggest reaching out to the system vendor for a driver update.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi  

0 Kudos
afei786
Beginner

In the same device, the Intel I226 V LAN is available in win11, but on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS  is unavailable.

I read about Open Source support for 2.5 GbE Intel® Ethernet Network Controllers (igc) in here Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Ethernet Controllers (LOM)

It says I226-v is available in Linux Kernel 5.16.18 and Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS. I tried driving the I226-v with Linux kernel 5.16.18 and Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, but it still wouldn't drive. Must it be the specified version to drive the I226-v?

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello Afei786,

Good day!

Thank you for your response. We would like to help you with an clear explanation regarding this issue. The I226 was embedded in the system (ROG STRIX Z790-A). So, whenever the adapter is embedded in the system, the vendor will release the driver for the adapter. In this situation, the Intel driver pack that you are trying to use will not work. In this kind of situation, the system vendor can provide you with the supported configuration package and supported OS configuration. It's best to get in touch with the system vendor; that will be a great step ahead.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
afei786
Beginner

However, ASUS only provides Windows drivers and does not support Linux (T_T)

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi Afei786,

Thank you for your response and for providing additional information regarding the driver support for the Intel I226 adapter embedded in the ROG STRIX Z790-A system.

We understand your concern about ASUS only providing Windows drivers and not supporting Linux. In this case, we recommend reaching out to ASUS directly to inquire about any potential solutions or workarounds they may offer for Linux compatibility.

Thank you for your understanding

Best regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos