Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

i40e DDP PPP in linux kernel 4.9

AAlec
Beginner

Dear forum,

I've read about the Dynamic Device Personalization PPPoE Package that should enable my X710 to successfully be able to use PPPoE info for the hash and loadbalance encapsulated traffic over multiple queues.

What I have:

root@pppoe-3:/lib/firmware/intel/i40e/ddp# ethtool -i eth4
driver: i40e
version: 2.9.21
firmware-version: 6.80 0x80003cc1 1.2007.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes
root@pppoe-3:/home/proca# lshw | grep X710
product: Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+
product: Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+

root@pppoe-3:/home/proca# uname -r
4.9.0-8-amd64

I've successfully loaded the profile with ethtool -f eth4 ppp-oe-ol2tpv2.pkgo 100

[ 3751.087062] net eth4: firmware: direct-loading firmware intel/i40e/ddp/ppp-oe-ol2tpv2.pkgo

I've removed my RSS config so that I can properly test and after I see that one one queue is getting used for PPPoE traffic.

Do I have to enable any driver parameter to use mac source address and PPPoE session id in the kernel RSS ?

Thanks!

Alex 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you please confirm if you've read the Dynamic Device Personalization PPPoE Package on the link below? If no, please share the link where the DDP was read. This would help us in checking your request. 

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/dynamic-device-personalization-for-intel-ethernet-700-series.html

Please also provide the exact Operating System used.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AAlec
Beginner

Hi Christelle,

Thanks for your reply.

I read the document again at it seems I missed the part where i needed to update the pctype mapping. I thought just loading the profile is enough. I will retest and come back with the results.

Operating system is Debian 9.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the reply. 

If that's the case then, we will be waiting for your update once you've done the retest. 

Awaiting to your response.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you have successfully completed your retest. In case you have additional questions and clarifications, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will be glad to be of help.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future.

May you have an amazing day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos