Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

intel 82579v - lost gigabit down capabilities

cwhit12
Beginner

I have a motherboard with the above adapter embedded. Gigabit enabled and working. Fiber internet went down (fiber break) and when it was restored, the card no longer gets gigabit downloads, but still gets gigabit uploads. It currently caps out at around 100mb (sometimes as high as 130) for the down speed, even when set to force gigabit full duplex.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue? Can an adapter fail physically in such a specific and strange way?

Drivers are up to date, have reinstalled Windows 8.1, replaced cables, etc.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi cloptic,

Try to connect your system to another gigabit network and observe if the download speed can go higher than 100mbps.

If it goes higher than 100-130 mbps, it means that it's a limitation on you fiber internet connection.

If the download speed remains the around the same rate, we may need to look into the issue further.

I'll wait for your test results.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
cwhit12
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the reply!

I don't have another gigabit network available, but I do have another gigabit system on the same network, and I have tested the cable and port I am using with this system on the other and the fiber speed checks out fine. It is definitely something with the embedded card.

I look forward to more ideas.

Thanks,

Chris

SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you have installed our drivers for Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. In case you are using our driver already, you may want to try out the driver version provided by your motherboard manufacturer.

1. Network Adapter Driver for Windows 8.1* - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23071/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® Download Center

2. http://www.intel.com/support/ethernetcomponents/controllers/82579/sb/CS-032239.htm Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller — Support for Intel® 82579LM and 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

You may also check your adapter's properties. Look for "Legacy Switch Compatibility Mode" - change the settings (Enable/Disable).

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos