Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

intel x520 sfp+ & windows 2008 r2 1G limitations

ibbi
Beginner

I have few server with following specs.

• IBM xseries 3650 M4 MT 7915C3G / Intel Xeon CPU-E5-2620 x 2 & few Lenovo SR650 servers
  • Intel x520 SFP+ Dual Port 10Gbe
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit (Physical) (& some 2008/2012/2016 are on virtual)
  • 10g SFP+ Module: Lenovo SFP 10gbase-sr Fiber Optic Transceiver Module
  • Connected to WS-C3850-24XS-S

While transfering data (Single Large ISO file) FROM or TO 2008 box , it is limited to 1G , whereas if I connect same cable to Windows Server 2012 or above, I can go beyond 5-6 Gbits easily. 

Why I am being limited to 1G on 2008R2 server ? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please try to use validated SFP+ cables and modules for your card. Kindly open the link below for more details:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ibbi
Beginner
  • With same SFP+ Modules/SFP Patch Cables & same intel NIC card, the transfer on W2012 or above works fine (transfer goes 5-Gbits & above)
  • With same SFP+ Modules/SFP Patch Cables & same intel NIC card, the transfer on on W2008 R2 it remains on 1-Gibts Only.
  • Tested on Physical OS 2008/2012/2016 & on VM guests too

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

Just to clarify, on all of those test. Are you using just the 10g SFP+ Module: Lenovo SFP 10gbase-sr Fiber Optic Transceiver Module?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ibbi
Beginner

Yes on all tests, hardware is same, modules/cables/server types/physical virtual

the only difference is the OS only

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

Thank you for the clarification. Since you are getting faster speed in different configuration. That means there is no issue with the card and other components. That is the issue with using not validated components, it may or it may not work. That is why we always recommend to use validated components with our products to avoid issues.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you still have clarifications regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ibbi
Beginner

My issue still exists.

Intel x520 is having issue with Windows 2008 R2 server. I have tested on multiple w2008 server , physical & virtual as well.

It's working fine with W20212 or above.

So is this a known limitation on w2008 for this card?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

As per our compatibility, the card and the OS are compatible. Kindly check the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

However, the only thing that we can see that is not being followed is the cable and module being used. That is why we always advised our customer to use validated components and update all the drivers.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

I just want to check if you tried using the validated cable and module and how is the speed after trying it?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ibbi,

I am just sending another follow up to check if using a compatible cable and module fixed the issue. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos