Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4861 Discussions

ixgbe: Link not ready

KPeas
Beginner

I purchased a motherboard that came with an Intel 82599 10-Gigabit network adapter (rev 01). I knew nothing about it when I bought the board; I simply want a network connection, regardless of the speed. I have it connected to a normal consumer-grade router (almost certainly not 10 gbps, although its speed isn't stated) with an ordinary ethernet cable. The setup connects just fine with my laptop, but never gets past "Link not ready" on the new system. I installed the ixgbe driver, but it doesn't help any. I was reading the (amazingly long...) Readme that comes with the driver and I don't understand the half of it. It sounds like you may have to do something special to connect to a non-10 Gbps link with it? I don't care about connection speed, I just want a connection.

Sorry for such a newbie question!

Ed:

]# ethtool eno1 Settings for eno1: Supported ports: [ FIBRE ] Supported link modes: 10000baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Supports auto-negotiation: No Advertised link modes: 100000baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Advertised auto-negotiation: No Speed: Unknown! Duplex: Unknown! (255) Port: Other PHYAD: 0 Transceiver: external Auto-negotiation: off Supports Wake-on: d Wake-on: d Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: no

Um, wow, that doesn't look good. Especially only "supported ports: fibre"; my cables are copper, just regular ethernet, connected to the ethernet port. No support for copper? .... this might explain why my attempts to set the speed (e.g. "ethtool -s eno1 speed 1000 duplex full") were failing with "invalid argument", it's saying it doesn't support anything other than 10000baseT/Full fibre.... But the docs say the card is supposed to support both fibre and copper, or at least it sounds that way... hmmm...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Meme03,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. Please share what is the exact mother board brand and model. Based on the ethtool result shown, the connection is in fiber. What is the brand and model of your router?

Thanks,

sharon

KPeas
Beginner

The motherboard is a DA0S2MMB8B0, from a Quanta QSSC-2ML. And it's not fibre. There's nothing plugged into the fibre port, I only have a regular copper ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet port. Aka, not TwinAX DAC or SFP, but XBase-T ethernet (I assume X=100 or 1000). I considered the possibility that perhaps the ethernet port is controlled by a different card, but:

~]# lspci | grep -i net

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 10 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

~]#

Aka, the 82599 is the only network controller onboard, so surely it has to control both ports... doesn't it? (I've also looked through the lspci list manually, there's nothing else remotely resembling a network controller).

0 Kudos
KPeas
Beginner

Oh, and as for the router: "technicolor TG589vn v2". Just a consumer-grade ethernet router / wifi hub.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Meme03,

Thank you for the information. On page 29 of the datasheet of 82599, here is an indication that 10/100/1000 Copper PHY Integrated On-chip is not supported.

Please refer to the datasheet for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/82599-10-gbe-controller-datasheet.html

However as this is an onboard NIC integrated on DA0S2MMB8B0 board, the OEM board vendor has the option to customized the chipset, I would suggest you to contact the board vendor to further check with them if the ethernet controller embedded on their system can support the connection. Below is the reference website regarding OEM network support

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000006628.html?wapkw=oem+network

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
KPeas
Beginner

Thank you very much for your assistance

0 Kudos