Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

ixgbe versions don't compile on Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS

dcsonka
Beginner

Hello Experts,

I am trying to compile different versions (5.10.2/5.12.5/5.13.4) of the ixgbe driver on Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS.

It keeps throwing the same error message with any version. Do you have any suggestion where the issue could be?

Thnx

Dezso

dcsonka@lab:~/ixgbe-5.10.2/src$ make install
*** The target kernel has CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL enabled, but
*** the signing key cannot be found. Module signing has been
*** disabled for this build.
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-166-generic'
CC [M] /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_main.o
In file included from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_osdep.h:17:0,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_type.h:45,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_dcb.h:7,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe.h:24,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_main.c:31:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/kcompat.h:7242:28: error: redefinition of ‘skb_frag_off’
static inline unsigned int skb_frag_off(const skb_frag_t *frag)
^~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from ./include/linux/if_ether.h:23:0,
from ./include/uapi/linux/ethtool.h:19,
from ./include/linux/ethtool.h:18,
from ./include/linux/netdevice.h:41,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_main.c:10:
./include/linux/skbuff.h:2763:28: note: previous definition of ‘skb_frag_off’ was here
static inline unsigned int skb_frag_off(const skb_frag_t *frag)
^~~~~~~~~~~~
scripts/Makefile.build:333: recipe for target '/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_main.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src/ixgbe_main.o] Error 1
Makefile:1590: recipe for target '_module_/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.10.2/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-166-generic'
Makefile:99: recipe for target 'default' failed
make: *** [default] Error 2

dcsonka@lab:~/ixgbe-5.10.2/src$ uname -a
Linux lab 4.15.0-166-generic #174-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 8 19:07:44 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
dcsonka@lab:~/ixgbe-5.10.2/src$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

I tried it with other version as well without success:

dcsonka@lab:~/ixgbe-5.3.4/src$ make install
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-166-generic'
CC [M] /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.o
In file included from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_type.h:4335:0,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_dcb.h:28,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe.h:45,
from /home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:52:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_osdep2.h: In function ‘IXGBE_WRITE_REG’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_osdep2.h:38:13: error: implicit declaration of function ‘ACCESS_ONCE’; did you mean ‘READ_ONCE’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
reg_addr = ACCESS_ONCE(hw->hw_addr);
^~~~~~~~~~~
READ_ONCE
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_osdep2.h:38:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
^
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_osdep2.h: In function ‘IXGBE_WRITE_REG64’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_osdep2.h:62:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
^
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c: In function ‘ixgbe_validate_register_read’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:419:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
reg_addr = ACCESS_ONCE(_hw->hw_addr);
^
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c: In function ‘ixgbe_read_reg’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:442:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
^
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c: In function ‘ixgbe_get_stats64’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:7454:29: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
struct ixgbe_ring *ring = ACCESS_ONCE(adapter->rx_ring[i]);
^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:7470:29: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
struct ixgbe_ring *ring = ACCESS_ONCE(adapter->tx_ring[i]);
^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c: In function ‘__ixgbe_setup_tc’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:9644:7: error: ‘TC_SETUP_MQPRIO’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘TC_SETUP_BLOCK’?
case TC_SETUP_MQPRIO:
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TC_SETUP_BLOCK
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:9644:7: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c: In function ‘ixgbe_probe’:
/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.c:11019:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘setup_timer’; did you mean ‘sk_stop_timer’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
setup_timer(&adapter->service_timer, &ixgbe_service_timer,
^~~~~~~~~~~
sk_stop_timer
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:333: recipe for target '/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src/ixgbe_main.o] Error 1
Makefile:1590: recipe for target '_module_/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/dcsonka/ixgbe-5.3.4/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-166-generic'
Makefile:107: recipe for target 'default' failed
make: *** [default] Error 2

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dcsonka,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are having issue compiling drivers on Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS. We will be glad to check your query and we hope you don't mind providing below details.

1. Is the Ethernet embedded on your motherboard? If yes, please share the model of your Ethernet Controller and motherboard. If it is a PCIe Ethernet card, please also share its model. You may consider providing the PBA of the card for us to double check on it. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html 

2. Can you confirm if the drivers tested were downloaded from link below? If no, please share the link with us. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/14302/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-intel-10-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
dcsonka
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Thank you for your feedback and support.

See the answers to your questions below:

#1: The ethernet is embedded on a SuperMicro SSG-6028R-E1CR12T platform with X10DRH-CT mother board and it is based on X540-AT2 chipset

#2: Yes, I downloaded the official driver's package from the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/14302/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-intel-10-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

However, I don't see the relation between the card type and the fact that none of the packages mentioned above don't compile on my platform.

The meantime from experimental manner, I upgraded my server to ubuntu 20.04 and on that ubuntu version  tany of the ethernet driver packages do compile. Although this is a good news, but unfortunately I am obliged to use the 18.04 version, because of the applications that we plan to use on top of them are qualified and validated only on the 18.04 version.

Therefore, I will need to have a solution for the original problem, because I will need a system with 18.06.

Thank you

Dezso

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dcsonka,

Thank you for the update.

Please allow us to further check on this request. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dcsonka,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Before we further check your request with our engineers, we hope you don't mind providing following information that will help with the investigation.

1. Kernel version

2. Can you confirm that you are able to compile ixgbe driver regardless of its version on Ubuntu 20.04?

3. We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Supermicro system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with Supermicro for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

But don't worry as we will still check this request with our engineers once we have the requested details above. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dcsonka,

Good day!

This is just a follow up for the additional information we requested for us to continue checking your query. In case you have questions or clarifications, feel free to let us know.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards, 

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello dcsonka,

I hope you're doing good!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards, 

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos