Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

keine 1 Gbit/s auf 218-V NIC möglich

plummi42
Beginner

Hallo Community-Support,

da mir der MSI-Service nicht weiterhelfen konnte, versuche ich es hier beim Chip-Hersteller:

Der auf dem Board verbaute 218-V Chip ist nicht in der Lage, eine 1 Gbit/s zu etablieren. Er arbeitet im 100 Mbit/s Vollduplex Modus.

Konfiguration:

Mainboard-Modell : MSI X99A SLI PLUS (MS7885)
BIOS/Firmware : 1.B0
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K
Betriebssystem : W10 64bit 20H2, 19042.985

Speicher : G.Skill 32 GB (2 x 16GB)
Netzteil : 850 W beQuiet
Grafikkarte : MSI Geforce RTX 2060 Super
Router: Vodafone Connect Box (im WAN liegt die volle Bandbreite an)

Folgende Lösungsversuche wurden unternommen:

- Prüfung auf Updates OK - Windows 20H2 voll gepatched
- NIC-Treiber Version 26.2 installiert
- Eco-Efficiency deaktiviert
- Large Send Offload IPV4/6 deaktiviert
- Eco-Funktion im CMD deaktiviert
- IPV6 abgeschaltet
- alle Ports am Router ausprobiert
- verschiedene CAT-6 Kabel benutzt

Nach Reboot bleibt der NIC auf 100 Mbit/s hängen.

Ich danke im Voraus für Vorschläge.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Did you try to connect to a different router?
  2. When you say that "After rebooting, the NIC hangs at 100 Mbit/s", do you have internet connection or is it hanging with no connection?
  3. Can you share some screenshots of the issue?
  4. Please help generate the SSU of your system. Kindly download the utility here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
plummi42
Beginner

Hello Intels-Mods,

thank you for your response!

I also checked with Linux Manjaro - 100 Mbit/s as well.

This afternoon I will check with a different client who has no problems with 1Gbit/s. That way we can eliminate the router as the problem's source.

Also doing the SSU then - I will get back shortly!

Cheers

plummi

0 Kudos
plummi42
Beginner

Dear Intel-Support,

the problem has been further narrowed:

A second Windows10 client worked with the same infrastructure (cable, router, etc.) in 1 GBit/s mode. The failure must be within the driver or the motherboeard itself.

Please find all the indormation I could gather:

LAN Wake Up BIOS deactivated

- Windows 20H2 fully patched
- NIC-Driver Version 26.2 installed
- Eco-Efficiency deactivated
- Large Send Offload IPV4/6 deactivated
- Eco-Efficiency deactivated
- IPV6 deactivated

Connectivity is given with 100 MBit/s only. All connections work within normal parameters.

Best regards

Ingo Plum

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

Thank you so much for a very detailed troubleshooting steps, however let me clarify some things. Please provide the following details.

1. The other client's system that has no issues, does it have the same configuration with the reported system?
  2. And did you also try the reported system on a different router?

And kindly try the steps here for us to check if there is an issue with the driver. Please follow the clean driver installation steps below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Here is the link of the latest driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
plummi42
Beginner

Dear Intel-Support,

again - thank you for this excellent service!

The client which is working properly has the same OS (W10, 64-bit), also fully patched, but with a Realtek-NIC onboard.

The reported system was tried on the router which the working client is usually integrated in - it provides connectivity, however, still at 100 MBit/s. The router is from the same ISP (cable access) in the same building.

I followed your instructions to perform a clean deinstallation and set up the up-to-date driver (version 12.19.1.37). The protocol still runs at 100 MBit/s. Yet, I didn't change any values within the driver.

Best regards

Ingo

0 Kudos
plummi42
Beginner

Dear Intel-Support,

after installing the ProSet and running the diagnostics I found an error with the interrupt-status (see pic attached). I don't know, whether this is relevant or not.

Best regards

Ingo

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

Thank you for the quick response and providing the information that we need. Let me further check all these information that you provided and please give us 2 to 3 working days to provide an update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. We have the latest driver 26.3 in our download site center. Kind try the latest driver first and update us. Let me also remind you that the latest driver and PROSet should be installed separately. Also uninstall completely the old driver prior installing the latest one.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

By the way, I tried to ask this during my data gathering. Can you also tell us or confirm what do you mean by "After reboot, the NIC hangs on to 100 Mbps"? Does the system hang/freeze when he changed the link speed to "Auto Negotiation" based on the screenshot you provided or the speed is stuck at 100 Mbps?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
plummi42
Beginner

Dear Michael,

again - thank you for your excellent assistance on this issue.

The 26.3 driver? Yes - I've tried it, already. Clean deinstall, Temp files killed, separate installation of PRO and driver. It gives the same result. As English is not my native language, I might need to correct the term "the NIC hangs at 100 Mbps". What I was rather trying to say was, that the bandwith sticks to 100 Mbps max, no matter what. There is no system freeze at all. If I try to change link speed to 1Gbps, the network adapter disconnects - auto negotiation sets it back to work with 100 Mbps.

Though, I found an old NIC PCIe in my junk box which I inserted, deactivated the onboard NIC and installed the drivers. It's an Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter. And here is at least a little part of the solution:

The NIC auto-negotiates to 1Gbps and works smoothly. So, there might be an issue with either the onboard chip or even the cable connector.

However, as I have a 250 Mbps connection from my ISP, the CT adapter doesn't go beyond 170 Mbps. Again - testing, changing driver values, etc. Since I could only find a driver dated from 12 JUNE 2018, version 12.17.10.8, it might be a driver issue, because:

Booting the same system on a Linux Manjaro Live distribution brings the speed to full bandwidth up to 280 Mbps. That didn't work with the 218 NIC - I've tried it several times.

The next idea would be to reinstall W10 which I rather hesitate to do. I ordered a fairly new Realtek NIC and will try that on my current OS. If it doesn't help, I might reconsider a new OS installation.

I attached a new SSU file with the CT NIC runnning. Maybe you can find an issue there. Are there different drivers available?

Best regards

Ingo 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

Thank you for the quick reply. Since you mentioned about the driver, the driver that we provided are the latest generic driver for our cards. Let me just ask, have you also tried contacting the manufacturer of your board if they have their own latest driver?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you already tried contacting the manufacturer of your board if they have their own set of drivers for your board?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
plummi42
Beginner

Dear Michael,

as MSI discontinued support for the board, they refer to the latest driver published by Intel. That would be 26.3, which I've tried, already.

The system is working now, using a Realtek 8111F PCIe NIC, within almost normal parameters. I think, I can stick with this solution and we can close this case.

Thank you for an excellent support!

Best regards

Ingo

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello plummi42,

Thank you for the update and I am glad that the system is working fine now.

We will close this thread and of your need assistance again in the future, please post a new question.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos