Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

linux_igb_avb-2.3 installation on debian 10

HamzChah
Beginner

Hi community,

I am trying to HW timestamp Ethernet frames using my i210-t1 network card to measure its latency through my TSN network. I read the questions 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Can-I-use-the-intel-i210-to-measure-software-packet-processing/m-p/702778#M18390 and 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/How-can-I-configure-the-i210-T1-nic-in-order-to-enable-AVB/m-p/442863 and concluded that I need to install a driver supporting hardware timestamping. I tried to install the linux_igb_avb-2.3 (from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/linux_igb_avb/2.3/ ) on my debian 10 buster but when I run make in the folder kmod , I am get the error:

*** *** Aborting the build. *** This driver is not supported on kernel versions older than 2.4.21, because this driver requires NAPI support.. Stop.

the output of # cat /proc/version :

Linux version 5.6.17-rt10-tsn (lxnr@elbebuilder2) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Fri Nov 13 16:32:03 CET 2020

the output of # lshw -C net:

*-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: I210 Gigabit Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    logical name: enp1s0
    version: 03
    serial: 68:05:ca:bd:aa:89
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igb driverversion=5.6.0-k firmware=3.16, 0x8000068f, 1.304.0 ip=192.168.0.6 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
    resources: irq:16 memory:f7c00000-f7cfffff memory:f7d00000-f7d03fff memory:f7b00000-f7bfffff

I am not sure what should I try next.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We are sorry to hear about this problem you encountered with your I210-T1 network card. Please allow us some time to check into this internally. Additionally, we would like to confirm if this is the first time you have used HW timestamp on this network card or did the feature worked on this unit before?

Let us know if you have further questions or need clarifications. If we do not receive any updates from you, we will make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
HamzChah
Beginner

Hi Achilles and thank you for your answer,

I used i210 cards bofore  but not for hardware time-stamping. This is my first time trying this feature and I am sure that it is supported since the i210 Datasheet clearly mention that.

Have a nice day.

Bests,

HamzChah

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

Thank you for your quick update. Please give us some time to check this internally. We will provide you with an update on this within 3 business days.

Thank you and have a great day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

Hope you are doing well.

Based on the error you encountered, the best source of support for this will be the Sourceforge.net bescause based on the driver created, it should support and work on I210 controller. They will provide you assistance by contacting them on this link below.

https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/

Let us know if you have additional questions or need clarifications. If we do not receive an update from you, we will make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
HamzChah
Beginner

Hi Achilles,

Thank you for your help. I will definitely try to contact them. But, installing that driver is just a trial to achieve hardware timestamping using I210 on my debian 10 buster. Any guidance on that matter? if you know another way faster than making a ticket on sourceforge and waiting for the answer (I am a bit in hurry), please share and thank you in advance.

Have a nice day,

Hamza

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

We understand that you are in a bit of hurry to make this feature working on your network card. Please allow us to further check on this. We will provide you with an update within 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

Hope you are doing well.

Please be informed that we are still checking your inquiry. Please accept our apologies for the delay on this matter. Please be rest assured that we will provide you with an update on this matter as soon as it is available but no later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hi HamzChah,

Good day.

Please be informed that we are still investigating the driver for your inquiry. We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter. Please be rest assured that we will provide you an update as soon as it is available but no later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

Hope you are doing well.

We just received an update from our engineers. Please be informed that igb_avb is an old version supporting AVB only (subset of TSN).

You can refer to these links that you can use instead

Let us know if you have further questions. If we do not receive an update from you, we will make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

How are you?

We are following up on your inquiry for this thread. We just want to confirm if you received our update a few days ago.

Let us know if you have further questions or need clarifications. If we do not receive a response from you, we will make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello HamzChah,

Hope you are doing well.

This is just a follow-up on your inquiry for this thread. Since we haven't heard from you for a few days, we will now close this thread. Feel free to post a new question in the forums if you need further assistance or have additional questions as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos