Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4876 Discussions

low profile bracket for Intel PRO/1000 PT single

idata
Employee

Hi, I have the Pro/1000 PT (single port) network card with a full size bracket. I want to change the server's case to a smaller one... now I need a low profile brackets for the card.

How do-i get one ?

Thanks!

Charles

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Charles,

The brackets are not available for sale separately. The retail versions of the adapters come with both brackets in the box. Some OEM versions only come with one bracket.

In the case of a single-port adapter, you might want to consider buying a newer adapter for your new computer. http://ark.intel.com/compare/50497,50395 Comparing the Intel® PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter with the Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter, you can see that the Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter was launched in 2008 versus the Intel® PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter. The newer adapter uses less power, is based on newer technology, and meets a newer PCI express specification. The Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter comes with a low profile bracket and is widely available from popular online retailers.

On the other hand, you might be able to find someone that is willing to send you the low-profile bracket. I might have one, but I am not in the office today.I will check for one later in the week and let you know if I have one available to send.

It probably will not make any difference on the bracket, but just to make sure I am looking for the correct bracket, please share the product code from the label on your adapter. The product code will be a number similar to EXPI9400PT.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

Looks like I have the OEM version with only one bracket

The product code on the adapter is EXPI9300PTBLK.

I'll buy a CT adapter and use the PT elsewhere.

I noticed the vertical segment for the PT is server but CT is desktop. Are they built on different specs or anything ?

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

You ask a good question about the vertical segment. Several years ago, Intel used to provide separate single-port adapters for the server market and the desktop market. When you bought a desktop adapter, some server features such as teaming were not enabled in software. Beginning with the the Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter, no software restrictions are in place. That makes the Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter a good entry level server adapter if you only need one port.

You definitely will not be giving up anything when you buy an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter instead of an Intel® PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter. That is not to say that the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter has every advanced feature found in the latest multi-port Intel Ethernet server adapters, but when you only need to add one port, the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter is a great choice and could have been listed under the server vertical segment.

By the way, the product code on your old adapter shows that it is a discontinued retail desktop adapter. Those adapters did not have interchangealbe brackets, so buying a new adapter is your only choice to get a low-profile bracket.

Mark H

0 Kudos