Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

opcode:IpLeaseRenewalFailed 0x79 issue.

KSing22
Beginner

We have Windows machine that requests DHCP lease very often. Can someone please suggest what could be the issue and how can this be resolved.The Intel card for instance is Intel(R) Ethernet connection l218M. Any help would be appreciated as there are couple of other machines on network causing same issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi karan_Singh, suggest to check the DHCP lease expires info found in your network adapter, this can be found in cmd window, ipconfig /all, if the current date and time didn't match the DHCP lease expires info then suggest to uninstall your network adapter and load the latest driver found in the support site, for Intel(R) Ethernet connection I218, you can check out this link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=i218 Intel® Download Center

Another angle to check is the DHCP lease time set on the DHCP server, default lease time is 8 days but network administrator could modify it based on requirement.

hope this help.

regards,

vince

0 Kudos
KSing22
Beginner

Hi Vince

Thanks for the direction..But the lease expires on Network adapter would be future date and current system time would not match..Are you suggesting that current date and time on system need to match to that on DHCP server and if mismatch update NIC drivers? Or Lease expires on NIC need to match that on DHCP server?

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 27, 2015 10:17:09 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 01, 2015 10:17:08 AM--------------> Looks like lease is only for 2 days

Thanks

Karan

0 Kudos
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Karan,

Based on your lease expires time, your system should request for a renewal of ip address on March 1, 2015 10:17:08AM, if it requested for renewal on earlier time, suggest to update uninstall and update NIC driver to latest version.

the time on both DHCP and system should also be synchronize as well.

regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
KSing22
Beginner

Hi Vincent

sorry for late response..I checked and updated drivers for the device but would still cause issue. I am talking about 800 - 3000 DHCP requests from a single machine over a period of 7 -8 hours.

Thanks

Karan

0 Kudos
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Karan,

if the issue only coming from single machine, try installing another network adapter to further isolate the problem.

regards,

vince

0 Kudos
KSing22
Beginner

Hi Vince

There are multiple machines with Windows 7 Enterprise on them..What I observed was that another machine with different NIC model was throwing too many errors on switchport so on further investigation it was found port to be faulty.The same machine was captured by splunk with over 10000 DHCP requests over 24 hours and when I observed the port was flapping when it was set to auto negotiating on both ends but would operate on half/10 Mb if manually set.I believe Windows 7 DHCP broadcast behavior where it sends DHCP requests even after valid IP(INIT-REBOOT) on disconnect - connect could be possible issue where on a flapping port even with IP assigned to Windows machine it keeps sending DHCP REQ upon disconnect - connect with broadcast flags 1 or 0 depending upon what DHCP server supports.For now machines reporting too many DHCP requests are under monitoring and we have moved them to different LAN ports to make sure the ports are error free and are not flapping like the one observed.Results are awaited but I have strong feeling this all came out of bad LAN ports on user desks.

Thanks

Karan

0 Kudos