Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

port_rx dropped XXV710-DA2 OCP

CChen175
Beginner

I saw port_rx dropped on the  XXV710-DA2 OCP NIC card when I execute iperf. But there is no the other errors and rx/tx dropped reported.

The NVM version is v6.8 I used and attachment is the logs.

My questions are :

What is "port_rx dropped" meaning?

What`s the impact when I see the port_rx dropped ?

Are there any suggestions for me to debugging?

Thanks

Chihta

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, For the difference between the 2, please open the link below and go to page 10. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/reference-guides/xl710-x710-performance-tuning-linux-guide.pdf If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Let me answer your questions. 1. "RX" in port_rx means receive. So the receiving port is reporting for loss packets. 2. Packet loss is the failure of one or more transmitted packets to arrive at their destination. 3. Try to update your network driver and run iperf again to check if you are still having loss packets. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Just want to check if you tried updating the drivers and how is your system after doing that. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CChen175
Beginner

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply. I will try to update the drvier and get back to you. ​

BTW, what`s the difference between "port_rx dropped" and "rx_dropped" ?

Thanks

Chihta

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Thank you for the update. I will wait for your next response once you are done updating the drivers. port_rx dropped and rx-dropped should be the same. rx means receive. In short, there are packets loss on the received packets. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Thank you for the update. I will wait for your next response once you are done updating the drivers. port_rx dropped and rx-dropped should be the same. rx means receive. In short, there are packets loss on the received packets. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CChen175
Beginner

Hi Michael

I updated the driver to With i40e driver v2.7.29 (package23.5.2). The result is as attached pic. I still saw the port_rx dropped. You can see the "rx_dropped" is 0 but "port_rx_dropped" is not 0. That`s why I asking what`s the difference between them.

BR

Chihta

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Let me further check this. Please give me 24 to 48 business hours to give you an update. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, For the difference between the 2, please open the link below and go to page 10. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/reference-guides/xl710-x710-performance-tuning-linux-guide.pdf If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Just checking if you have additional questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Please let us know if you need further assistance. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CChen175
Beginner

Thanks Mikel. It says something is not fast enough in the slot/memory/system. But I try to use another similar spec NIC card (another vendor) and keep the system configuration the same. I don`t see the port.ex_dropped. If it is relative to my system. I expect to see the port.ex_dropped also. It`s confused me.

BR

Chihta

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Chihta, Sharing this information with you. The difference between rx_dropped and port_rx dropped: rx_dropped = CPU not servicing buffers fast enough. port.rx_dropped = Something is not fast enough in the slot/memory/system. Let us know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Chihta, Thank you for the update. We will check the issue and update you once done. We'll let you know if we need additional details to further investigate the issue. Let us know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Regarding your isolation between your Intel NIC card and another similar 3rd party NIC card. Have you checked if they have similar firmware or if your Intel NIC card has the latest firmware? Let us know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CChen175
Beginner

Hi Michael

I had updated my Intel NIC card FW to the latest firmware file. The result is the same. I also did some tests to isolate this issue .

1. Installed my Intel NIC card to the other server platform, also saw port.rx dropped.
  2. Used second XXV710-DA2 OCP for testing, also saw port.rx dropped.

Do you any suggestion for next step ?

Thanks

Chihta

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Thank you for the update. Let me just clarify, when you tried your NIC card to the other server platform, is it identical to your system? As per the definition, something is not fast enough in the slot/memory/system. Isolation between the Slot, memory or system may help you locate the problem since you already updated the driver of your NIC card. Let us know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello CChen175, Just want to check if you can provide the information that I asked on my previous post. Let us know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CChen175
Beginner

Hi Michael

For this problem, we think it`s minor impact. So we can close it. Thanks for your support.

BR

Chihta​

0 Kudos