Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

"No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer." Really?

Bulldog
Beginner

Today I installed the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Ethernet Adapter (model EXPI9301CT) in my Windows 10 PC.

I tried to install drivers for my adapter, using the Intel Network Adapter Driver for Windows 10 (PROWinx64.exe) but was unable to do so, as the installer said:

"Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer."

My next step was to run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, which recognized my Ethernet adapter, and said:

"This device is working properly"

I re-seated my adapter and ran these two utilities again, with the same result.

Why does the Intel Network Adapter Driver for Windows 10 say "No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer?"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your Intel Gigabit CT card is a model 82574L. EXPI9301CT is just an ordering code. This adapter is from 2008:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/50395/intel-gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter.html

Now, the bad news - It is not supported on Windows 10.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Doc

0 Kudos
Bulldog
Beginner

I appreciate your interest. Unfortunately, your answer is not helpful.

EXPI9301CT is the model number for my Gigabit CT Desktop Ethernet Adapter; 82574L is the controller.

The adapter was indeed introduced in 2008 but expected discontinuance is not until Q1'20, and even then, basic Ethernet adapters such as mine are generic.

Windows 10 has in-box drivers for the adapter and the controller. PROSet is supported on Windows 10, but not after v.1809. That's fine, because I don't need PROSet.

Recently I have been experiencing connectivity problems - my adapter no longer pulls an IP address from DHCP - so I though I would try Intel's driver instead of the in-box driver.

Intel has drivers for my controller up to and including Windows 7. I can launch the driver installer in Windows 7 compatibility mode, and installation proceeds normally until it halts because "No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer," which is quite obviously wrong, as I explained above.

If you know why the driver installer thinks that "No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer," I'll appreciate knowing the reason.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, just for clarification, EXPI9301CT is the ordering code.

Look under "Ordering and Compliance" here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/50395/intel-gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter.html

Doc

0 Kudos
Bulldog
Beginner

When I connect the Ethernet cable from my Intel adapter directly to my modem, bypassing my router, I have zero problems accessing the internet.

It does not seem that anyone here knows the answer to my question, so I will look elsewhere.

Thanks for everyone's time and interest.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Bulldog,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

As you have mentioned on your previous post, Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter has inbox support only. Driver and software updates aren't planned for adapters with only in-box support. These adapters can't be updated using automated or manual methods.

You might want to visit this link for Windows® 10 Support for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020905/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Your time and effort on sharing the resolution to this issue is highly appreciated. Please be informed that we will now close this request. Should you have any other concern or assistance needed in the future, please do not hesitate to post a new question. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos