Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

"Provider load failure" when using VLAN commands on PowerShell

Vishal
Novice

Hello, I need to add VLAN support in Windows10. I have updated to the latest drivers. However, when I used power shell for adding VLAn using Add-IntelNetVLAN, I always get error. Then I tried a basic command and even that is failing as seen below:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-IntelNetAdapter

Get-IntelNetAdapter : Provider load failure

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-IntelNetAdapter

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo     : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-IntelNetAdapter], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimException,Intel.PowerShell.Network.Adapter.GetInt

elNetAdapter

I have tried restarting laptop and uninstalling - reinstalling drivers but not working. Could you please help here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vishal
Novice

Hello Crisselle 

I tried doing the clean installation and still same issue.

Later, I got some information that this is a problem with Windows 10 version 1803.

I updated to version 1809 and everything worked well with 24.1 version. All the commands from PowerShell are working fine.

Thanks a lot for your support on this topic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Vishal
Novice

Just an update, I tried installing couple of old versions and still same problem. Later, I installed version "20.1" and all the commands started working.

So is it an issue with latest version of driver? Can you please check.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VJain19,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Please provide the details below for us to check on your query.

1.) Model of your Network Card

2.) Have you tried using the Import-Module mentioned on the link below?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html

3.) SSU/System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. This would also help us identify if you are using an OEM or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Vishal
Novice

Hello Crisselle 

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have tried Import-Module. It worked fine but Add-IntelNetVLAN and other related commands were always failing with the mentioned error.

Also, as I mentioned in my note later that this problem was happening with latest drivers. Later, I installed 20.1 version, which is quite old. However, all the commands started working properly and I could add VLAN.

SSU output is attached here.

Please let me know if any other information is required.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VJain19,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to check on this. We will give you an update within 2-3 business days.

(We might post an additional questions that would help us in further checking the issue.)

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VJain19,

While we are looking into your query, we'd like to check if you have tried the latest driver version from SW 24.1? Please let us know if the problem still occurs on this version.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

Looking forward to your reply

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vishal
Novice

Hello Crisselle 

I have tried again with Complete driver pack from the link shared above. However, I am facing the same problem of "Provider load failure".

During my last trial with version 20.1, I was able to add VLAN. However, VLAN was always in disabled state.

Later, I tried with version 21.1 and it mentions specifically that there is issue with Windows 10 related to VLAN's.

And any version installed after 21.1 gives "Provider load failure" error while adding VLAN's from PowerShell.

And Just FYI, I am using Lenovo T470 laptop. One of my colleague is using T460 and he has installed same drivers and everything is working smoothly for him. 24.1 is installed and he is able to add and use VLAN.

Please let me know if any other information is required.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VJain19,

We appreciate your prompt reply and the additional information you have provided.

1.) Kindly share if you have tried performing clean installation of the driver? If not yet, kindly try it out and check if it would be of help to fix the issue. Please refer to the steps below:

a. Open Windows* Device Manager:  

Windows® 10: Right-click Start > Device Manager

b. Double-click Network adapters to expand the section.

c. Right-click the Intel® Ethernet Connection (model) and select Properties.

d. Click the Driver tab.

e. Click Uninstall.

f. Check "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK.

g. Press the Windows key + R, then type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) delete everything from that folder, then install our latest driver from the Download Center. You may also try the latest driver from Lenovo. 

2.) We'd like to inform you that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Lenovo system. For OEM on-board Ethernet controller, they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. Since you also mentioned that the 24.1 driver is working smoothly on T460 laptop, it would be best if you can get in touch with Lenovo for further support. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. Please visit this link for Support Options for Intel® Ethernet Controllers.  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=oem+network

Please let us know once you've contacted Lenovo for further assistance.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vishal
Novice

Hello Crisselle 

I tried doing the clean installation and still same issue.

Later, I got some information that this is a problem with Windows 10 version 1803.

I updated to version 1809 and everything worked well with 24.1 version. All the commands from PowerShell are working fine.

Thanks a lot for your support on this topic.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VJain19,

You are welcome. We are glad to hear that the issue was resolved after updating to Windows version 1809.

If you have any other assistance need in the future, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to be of help.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos