Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

"Windows cannot find any networks" 5100 AGN, Vista 64

idata
Employee

I've had issues with my wireless adapter, the Intel WiFi 5100 AGN, since I bought my laptop and have always been able to find temporary solutions around the problems, however now the issues have reached their pinnacle. I keep getting the message that "Windows cannot find any networks" when I try to connect to my router, even though I live in an apartment and there are at least a dozen networks in the area and my router works just fine with other laptops. When I first started using the router I would encounter this problem once a day where the adapter would stop working and I would have to restart the computer to get it working again. Now the connection won't last for more than a few seconds though it works fine when hooked up with an ethernet cable to my router, which is what I am using now.

I have reinstalled the new driver multiple times, which has helped in the past, but now it does nothing. I have turned off the power saver option in the device manager that turns off the wireless adapter, and that hasn't helped either. I have tried manually resetting the adapter with the switch on my computer, nothing. I have combed the net for solutions and have found many people with the same problem with this adapter but no one has a solution. I have just gone past my warranty of 1 year, and am a little bitter that I didn't send the computer in for repair earlier but I felt that I could have fixed the problem myself using support centers such as this. Is my only option buying a new adapter? I hate the idea of spending that kind of money when I have a 1-year-old adapter that should have been working in the first place.

I'm using Windows Vista 64 if that info helps.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Iam also having the same issue with Windows 2008 R2 intel 5100agn. I have tried all 64bit drivers and still I cannot find any networks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This issue with not able to switch on wireless has been solved to some extent by someone on http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18046-3.html www.techspot.com/vb/topic18046-3.html this worked for me by covering terminals on wi-fi card as shown.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I solved my own problem. The driver was installed correctly but Microsoft must have forgotten to mention that you also need to install wireless feature for one to be able to use use it. The feature was introduced with Windows Vista, but somehow on windows 7 was removed but its back on windows 2008r2

0 Kudos