Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

where to download Intel-Ethernet powershell cmdlets from?

JoergS
Beginner

Hi there,

I need to specify a certain VLAN ID for a network connected to an Intel(R) Gigabit CT2 Desktop Adapter!

Per default this is not possible (as there is no 'VLAN ID' setting in this device's advanced properties),
so I searched the web and found an article, saying this needs to be done using Windows Powershell
(https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html.

Sadly this article has no download link for said Powershell cmdlets, and I also do not have those installed already; so, from where can I download the Powershell cmdlets, please?

When updating my driver, Windows says that I already have the latest version...
(12.15.22.6)

p.s.
installing the whole ProWin package is not an option - I am accessing the PC in question remotely,
i.e. I cannot risk loosing connection to this PC while updating its ethernet driver - I only need the Powershell cmdlets for specifying a VLAN ID!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JoergS,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you have read our previous post. If yes, kindly confirm and let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Additionally, there are two options below that you may consider if you wish to configure VLAN on your remote PC using Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

1.) You may need to use Operating system that has full support for your adapter. 

2.) Or you may need to purchase a new adapter that has full support on Windows 10. 

You may visit this link and scroll down to Windows* support for 1 GbE Intel® Ethernet Network Adapters to check the list of adapters that has full support for Windows 10

Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JoergS,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request.

1.) Kindly confirm if this is the adapter you use. 

Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/50395/intel-gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter.html

2.) What is the Operating system and version used? 

3.) Where was the driver downloaded from? Please share the link with us. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days on case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JoergS
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

1) I don't know, at the moment - due to Covid restrictions - I can only work remotely, so I cannot visually inspect my desktop PC, but maybe this helps:
 Vendor-ID: 8086; Device-ID: 10D3; Subsys: 00018086;
name of this NIC in device-manager: "Intel(R) Gigabit CT2 Desktop Adapter"

2) this remote PC runs Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1809, OS build 17763.1518

3) I cannot remember...
I do have this network card since many years now; probably it's using the Windows 10 internal driver - I can't remember, that I manually needed to install any additonal driver to make it work...

p.s.
additional info:

this remote PC has two internal networks:
1. the main one (probably on the mainboard, but I don't know) - this one connects this PC to my Company's LAN, and (via VPN) also to my Home Office
2. the said CT2 adapter (as a separate network card) - this one connects the remote PC to an embedded device, where I do software development for - and here I need a specific VLAN ID for!

the problem with the above setup is, that my main network *also* is from Intel - so when I only want to update drivers for that separate CT2 adapter, the setup program most probably will also update the drivers for the main network adapter (since that's an Intel chip as well...) -- and this I cannot allow, since this will risk breaking the connectivity of this remote PC to my Home Office...
(the main network card is "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM",
 Vendor-ID: 8086; Device-ID: 15E3; Subsys: 8298103C)

can I only update the drivers for the CT2 adapter, but not for the I219-LM?  I didn't see any such option in the latest Installer 25.4

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JoergS,

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

Unfortunately, Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter has only in-box support on Windows 10 Operating System(OS). With your current adapter and OS, there is no way in updating the driver hence, Teaming and VLAN is not supported. Please see below details for more information regarding in-box support. 

• Driver and software updates aren't planned for adapters with only in-box support. These adapters can't be updated using automated or manual methods.
  • Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) driver for teaming and VLANS aren't included with in-box support.

You may consider visiting this link for Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Let us know if you have questions and clarifications. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JoergS,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you have read our previous post. If yes, kindly confirm and let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Additionally, there are two options below that you may consider if you wish to configure VLAN on your remote PC using Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

1.) You may need to use Operating system that has full support for your adapter. 

2.) Or you may need to purchase a new adapter that has full support on Windows 10. 

You may visit this link and scroll down to Windows* support for 1 GbE Intel® Ethernet Network Adapters to check the list of adapters that has full support for Windows 10

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JoergS
Beginner

Hello Crissell,

well, I don't have the *power* to install myself any other OS than what my Company is using,
nor to buy any new hardware on my own for my office PC..

But my colleague who is doing this, anyways only buys Intel network cards - as those are (upon other use-cases, like mine) used 24/7 in continuous testing benches;  there only Intel (server-grade) networking cards have proven to work for years...

I asked him to buy an extra one for me when he is ordering the next batch of cards, but I don't know when this will happen; for the time being, I am using a cheap USB-to-Ethernet Adapter where I can specify the VLAN-ID...

case can be closed, thank you for your time!

/Jörg

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jörg,

Appreciate your swift response. 

We do apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused on your end. 

Please also be reminded to check the Operating System supported in case you wish to purchase a new adapter. If you will use 1Gbe adapter, you may consider purchasing I210-T1 or from I350 series. These adapters have full support on Windows 10 OS. 

We will now close this request. Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. Just feel free to post a new question If you need any additional information as this thread will no longer being monitored

May you have an amazing day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos