Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

where to find NVM firmware for X722 on VEP4600

MechthildBuescher

Hi,

I would like to update the firmware of an X722 Ethernet card but I cannot find the NVM update tool which does this.

Infos to the X722 Ethernet card:
# lspci -nns b6:00.0
b6:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GbE SFP+ [8086:37d3] (rev 04)

# ethtool -i Ext-0
driver: i40e
version: 2.8.20-k
firmware-version: 3.33 0x80001007 1.1862.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:b6:00.0

I tried with the latest version of NVM update (700Series_NVMUpdatePackage_v8_10_Linux) and get:
03) Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X722 3.51(3.33) 37D3 00:182 Update not
for 10GbE SFP+ available

Also older version of NVM update tool failed to work. I couldn't find any version where the nvmupdate.cfg contains the correct DEVICE (37D3) and/or the actual version (80001007) in REPLACES.

Can you please provide the correct NVM update script or the NVM IMAGE which will update our ethernet cards?

Thank you,

best regards/Mechthild

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mechthildbuescher,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your network adapter. 

So we would have a better understanding of your issue, please provide the following information:

1. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System#:~:text=Intel%20SSU%20for%20the%20Linux,and%20shared%20by%20the%20user. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

2. Kindly provide us the results of this command: ethtool -i ethx where ethx is the Ethernet port.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MechthildBuescher

Hi Alfred S,

thanks for your reply. I can't run ssu.sh because it doesn't support the installed OS and it requires lots of software to be installed which I can't do on that system. However, I manually collected details of the system with regard to the Ethernet card. The 'ethtool -i ' command output was already included in my initial post but it's included in the attachment as well. The interface which belongs to the X722 card is called Ext-0 in our system which is just a renamed eth-x interface.

BR/Mechthild

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mechthildbuescher,

Thank you for the prompt response.

We were doing a deep-check on the information that you have provided so far, and these are our findings (we also have additional questions to confirm some things):

1. May we know who sold you the card? Was it Dell since VEP6400 is a Dell Product? If you are using a Dell OEM Intel Network Card, this could be the reason why the device it is not on the nvmupdate.cfg. Dell has their own customized NVM firmware.

We went ahead and check the Dell Support site and check for the firmware however it’s not listed on the VEP6400 support site. Have you already checked with Dell regarding this one?

2. If this is a genuine Intel® retail card, kindly provide us pictures of the sticker labels of the card so we can check. There are some cards that appear as Intel retail cards but are actually 3rd party assembled cards.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MechthildBuescher

Hi Alfred S,

thanks for you fast reply.

Yes, it's Dell who sold us that card. In the meantime, I realized myself that it's not a standard Intel NIC and contacted Dell already as I couldn't find firmware updates on their support site.

So, I'm looking forward to receive some feedback from Dell. But if you still have some valuable information to share, that would be great.

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Mechthild

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mechthildbuescher,

Thank you for your response.

We will wait for you update regarding Dell’s findings on your concern.

From our end, we will also try to check and if we get any new information to share, we would post it on this thread.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after five business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MustafaB
Novice

Folks,

I have a very similar issue I have standalone intel genius cad X722.   How I can upgrade to 4.10 firmware.

None of the tools detect adapter? 

I tried to download v4.10 and it has X722_BNP_SFI_2x10G_P01_NCSI_4p10_80001A76.bin image

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MustafaB,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear that you also have the same issue like the one reported on this thread.

We need to determine if your standalone card is a Intel® Retail product or an OEM distributed one, since OEMs have their own firmware and this maybe the reason why our updater is not recognizing the card, just like what we have on the OP’s issue.

Please provide us pictures of the stickers on the card.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 2 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MustafaB,

We are just following up.

We understand that it would take time for you to answer the question on our last post.

Due to this reason, we will wait for your answer and should we not hear from you, we will follow up again after 4 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MustafaB
Novice

Folks,

I already verify back in Aug but attaching a screenshot.

Kind Regards,
MB>

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi MustafaB,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to validate the markings on the photo provided. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MustafaB
Novice

Hi Folks,

Any update on this one?  I have another POC with another set of x722 and still the same issue. 
My guess that the native VMware driver doesn't detect adapter due to some PCI address or whatever validation. 

There is another thread open in the forum where I posted all the data. 

Kind Regards,
MB>

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MustafaB,

Thank you for sharing your concern on this thread.

We referred the OP to Dell since his card was distributed by Dell.

Please allow us some time to check on your concern on the thread that you had posted.

We will try to get back to you with an answer no later than 3 business days from now; although, we will reach out to you in case we need more information or if we already have developments regarding your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MustafaB
Novice

Thank you very much, folks.  But please keep in mind I have 3 cards sold by Dell,  two cards from Amazon sold by Intel ( I also verified the card back in August with Intel).  

Given a fact that firmware update tools run completely fine on Linux and Linux driver detects adapter.   

An issue is a tool that updates firmware ( UEFI BIOS and vSphere don't propose update nor detect adapter) indicate that issue is in the tool itself not in the card. ( I hope we all agree on it binary logic) 

The same issue with the native driver for vSphere doesn't detect it at all and concerns me a lot. 
It essentially a shows stopper.  

Please raise an internal check.  My guess that either driver and tool don't contain the correct PCI address of vendor ID  etc or I don't know what do you guys match.  But I went to a number of source codes for Linux drivers and it clear that you guys do use PCI information to detect adapter type for i40en. 

So please cross-check.   I'm 99.9 positive that the card, not the list of PCI devices that en40 should detect.  

MB>

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mechthildbuescher,

Thank you for providing your insights and more details regarding the issue,

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mechthildbuescher, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MustafaB
Novice

You responded that I need wait 3 days in the previous replay and you didn't send any update. Do I miss something?  

0 Kudos
MustafaB
Novice

In case you missed that.

Thank you very much, folks.  But please keep in mind I have 3 cards sold by Dell,  two cards from Amazon sold by Intel ( I also verified the card back in August with Intel).  

Given a fact that firmware update tools run completely fine on Linux and Linux driver detects adapter.   

An issue is a tool that updates firmware ( UEFI BIOS and vSphere don't propose update nor detect adapter) indicate that issue is in the tool itself not in the card. ( I hope we all agree on it binary logic) 

The same issue with the native driver for vSphere doesn't detect it at all and concerns me a lot. 
It essentially a shows stopper.  

Please raise an internal check.  My guess that either driver and tool don't contain the correct PCI address of vendor ID  etc or I don't know what do you guys match.  But I went to a number of source codes for Linux drivers and it clear that you guys do use PCI information to detect adapter type for i40en. 

So please cross-check.   I'm 99.9 positive that the card, not the list of PCI devices that en40 should detect.  

MB>

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MustafaB,

Thank you for your response.

The post was meant for the OP, MechthildBuescher.

Since your issue was already reported on another thread, we are already closely looking on the issue on hand, and we will provide you with an update after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos