Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

x1 vs x8 10gb performance...

kadey
Beginner

I'm testing throughput of a D-1500-based X552 and a X520, and according to lspci their PCIe lane configuration is as follows:

admin@capture:~$ sudo lspci -vv | grep -P "[0-9a-f]{2}:[0-9a-f]{2}\.[0-9a-f]|LnkSta:" |grep -A 1 Ethernet

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE SFP+

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE SFP+

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

06:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

However, I'm getting the exact same numbers for each. It doesn't make sense that the X552 would only get 1 lane.

Is what lspci is telling me wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I need to further check, can you confirm which D-1500 series SOC you used based on page 3 at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-d-brief.html

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
kadey
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

Thank you for the information. Please share what is the system model so that I can better check on this.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

Please feel free to provide the information for me to better check for you.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
kadey
Beginner

The system is a SuperMicro E300-8D.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

Thank you for the information. I will further check.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

Further checking, please contact Supermicro*, there may be a BIOS update or settings they can provide.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
kadey
Beginner

So what is the issue that a bios update would fix? Is the problem that lspci is mis-reporting the configuration?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

For that you can check with Supermicro* for the BIOS update or a setting they can provide about the PCI-e lane speed.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

Please feel free to update me if you have contacted Supermicro* and if further assistance needed.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Megrez80,

As an additional information. Please refer to page 23 of the data sheet shows the lane speed support for X550

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/ethernet-x550-datasheet.pdf

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos