Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kadey
Beginner

x1 vs x8 10gb performance...

I'm testing throughput of a D-1500-based X552 and a X520, and according to lspci their PCIe lane configuration is as follows:

admin@capture:~$ sudo lspci -vv | grep -P "[0-9a-f]{2}:[0-9a-f]{2}\.[0-9a-f]|LnkSta:" |grep -A 1 Ethernet

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE SFP+

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE SFP+

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

06:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

However, I'm getting the exact same numbers for each. It doesn't make sense that the X552 would only get 1 lane.

Is what lspci is telling me wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I need to further check, can you confirm which D-1500 series SOC you used based on page 3 at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-d-brief.html

Thanks,

Sharon

kadey
Beginner

It's the D-1518.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

Thank you for the information. Please share what is the system model so that I can better check on this.

Regards,

Sharon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

Please feel free to provide the information for me to better check for you.

Regards,

Sharon

kadey
Beginner

The system is a SuperMicro E300-8D.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

Thank you for the information. I will further check.

Regards,

Sharon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

Further checking, please contact Supermicro*, there may be a BIOS update or settings they can provide.

Thanks,

Sharon

kadey
Beginner

So what is the issue that a bios update would fix? Is the problem that lspci is mis-reporting the configuration?

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

For that you can check with Supermicro* for the BIOS update or a setting they can provide about the PCI-e lane speed.

Thanks,

Sharon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

Please feel free to update me if you have contacted Supermicro* and if further assistance needed.

Thanks,

Sharon

idata
Community Manager

Hi Megrez80,

As an additional information. Please refer to page 23 of the data sheet shows the lane speed support for X550

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/ethernet-x550-datasheet.pdf

Thanks,

Sharon T