Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

x540-T1 and Ubuntu 20.04 IXGBE Driver Jumbo UDP Packet Write and Read Delays

ML123
Beginner

I am measuring write and read delays of 80 to 100 microseconds when using 8192 Byte Packets. I have turned off all settings to try and improve performance because they made no difference.

Normally the packet takes 6 to 9 microseconds to write and 6 to 9 microseconds to read. I am measuring delays of > 80 microseconds about every 20 packets or so.

Does anybody have an idea as to why this is happening?

I am running on an HP Z440 Workstation.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

Please provide the following information:

a. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System#:~:text=Intel%20SSU%20for%20the%20Linux,and%20shared%20by%20the%20user. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

b. Kindly provide us the results of this command: ethtool -i ethx where ethx is the Ethernet port.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

The intel script does not run as I am using CentOS 8.1 - do you have a version that will run on this OS?

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

When I answered n to script it produced an output - attached

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you confirm if you followed the steps from Intel® System Support Utility Linux Process link below? 

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Looking forward to your response.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

Yes, I followed the directions, I am using CentOS 8.1 which is NOT in your list.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you providing some of the information that we have asked. It looks like you will not be able run our System Support app to get the other set of logs, so we will make do of whatever you provided.

Please allow us some time to check on this.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

While we were closely checking your concern, we find the need to get a more extensive look on your ethernet cards.

Since you are running an HP Z440 Workstation, we need to confirm if your card is of an OEM variety or a retail unit. Are you able to take a picture of the markings on the card?

The reason why we are asking for this is if you have an OEM version, they may have a customized firmware release that could address your issue.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

Here are the pictures of one x540-T2 Board.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

What is the best way to test / set up the ixgbe interface for maximum performance with 8192 Byte Packets - using ethtool or built-in linux tools?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you for that additional question.

We will factor your additional question in our investigation.

We will continue checking this.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

While we were closely checking your concern, our engineers found the need to get confirm something:

They noticed that since the issue is happening at somewhat regular intervals, it sounds like there may be a configuration difference somewhere in the rest of the network. In order to use jumbo frames, the whole network needs to support the larger packets.

May we ask if you have already checked the settings on switches and routers as well?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

I am using two HP-Z440 Computers each with one x540-T1 and one Buffalo BS-XP2008 8 Port Switch. The switch has no settings. All Linux network configurations are set for Jumbo Frames at 9000 Bytes. This condition is the same for both Ubuntu 20.04 and CentOS 8. If I use blocking sends I see these delays. If I use non-blocking sends the situation improves slightly. I still see variations in the write and read delays.

Do you have Intel - Linux test or validation applications I can use to figure out what is going wrong with my setup? I have tried everything I can think of.

I would suggest you run a test to capture exact time between each successive send or receive packet to clearly see what I am experiencing.

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

Here are udp packet processing times in nanoseconds between successive send's.

100,000 Samples.

Both blocking sockets and non-blocking sockets.

Using CentOS 8.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you for your response and providing more details regarding the issue,

We will continue checking this and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

Do you have Intel - Linux test or validation applications for performance so I can use to figure out what is going wrong with my setup? I need an answer to this question.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

We are humbly sorry for not being able to answer your last post. Our team were investigating on your main concern.

Our engineers are requesting for the front and back pictures of your ethernet card. Please provide us the front and back pictures of the card, as well as images focusing on the stickers on the unit.

We will take note of your question and we will include it in our investigation once we get the pictures from you.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ML123
Beginner

I have asked twice for test or validation applications.

I need to know how Intel proved the performance of both the x540 and the Linux ixgbe drivers.

If these cannot be provided to me , I withdraw my request for support.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Ml123,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your request here and you just wanted an answer for the current question that you have.

We will check this with our engineers and get back to you.

We will get back to you no later than 5 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hi Ml123,

I hope you are having a good day.

Upon checking your inquiry regarding Linux test or validation applications for performance, I am very sorry to inform you that

We don't have any test applications for this. This is already the feedback provided by our Engineers.

If you still have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos