Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

x710 disconnects with offloading enabled

JJonC
Beginner

Hello,

I have several 2012 R2 systems with x710 NICs that blue screen and get network disconnects in the event logs when we have offloading turned on. If we disable offloading, the system is stable. We've tried the Dell version of the drivers, as well as the Intel drivers (v20.7). It appears to be very similar to the issue in the thread .

Is anyone else having problems with offloading on these NICs?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the post. Please try upgrade to driver version 21 below and update me the result.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23073/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2012-R2-?product=83949

Please provide below information for further investigation:

1) SSU log file, download and run the SSU tool at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

to generate the log

2) The BSOD error message ( a screenshot would be the best)

3) Does it happen only the offloading feature is enabled? Any other steps perform (e.g. sending of particular traffic or etc) that trigger the error?

Please provide the steps perform.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Please feel free to update me the if you have tried driver version 21 and what is the result?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
JJonC
Beginner

The driver was updated to version 21 but still blue screened last week. Unfortunately, it didn't generate a memory dump this time. Large Send Offload IPv4/IPv6 was disabled and it was stable over the weekend. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that triggers the blue screen. I have attached the results of the SSU scan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the update and information. Let me further check on this issue you encountered

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Please try update NVM to the latest version which is 5.04

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769/NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Adapter-XL710-and-X710-Series

Just to double check if this is an onboard NIC? If yes, have you tried contacted the OEM system?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
JJonC
Beginner

This is an onboard NIC and Dell has determined the hardware is not faulty. The NICs are running the latest firmware version from Dell which is their version number 17.0.12. I see from the SSU results, that appears to correlate to 4.53. Will there be any issue if we upgrade to 5.04 using the Intel utility instead of waiting for Dell to release their version?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the clarification. Since this is a Dell OEM adapter, we still recommend to use the Dell's driver and firmware version. For the meantime, let me further check also.Thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Additional information here. Do you find any error in the event log related to the BSOD?

Have you also check with Dell regarding this error and also refer this knowledge base

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN290686/EN ?

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
JJonC
Beginner

Dell has released their version of the 5.04 NVM so we are testing that. That article you sent recommends disabling offloading features. As mentioned before, it works fine if the offloading is disabled but we would like to utilize the offloading features.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the update. Please do feel free to update me the test result once available, do you find any error in the event log related to the BSOD? We will continue to further check.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Good day. Have you had the test result using the Dell's firmware? Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
MTara4
Beginner

I am seeing the same problem on a Dell FX2 chassis with 3 Dell FC630 nodes connected to Intel x710 PCIe cards that connects to Dell EqualLogic iSCSI storage through Dell PowerConnect iSCSI switches. The OS is Windows 2012 R2 running a Hyper-V cluster on 3 nodes. I am seeing random disconnects. For about a week the system remains stable then the disconnects start to happened with an event log error of "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710, Network link is disconnected." The firmware version is 17.5.11, A00 (from Dell). The driver version is 1.3.115.0. The firmware and the driver is at the latest version from Dell. All of the latest OS patches have been installed. Again the disconnects occur randomly across all of the nodes then the NICs reconnect after about a minute. This is a major issue for us because this causes random LUN drops. We do have offloading enabled. I'd rather not disable the feature since we run many guest VM's off of these hosts. Is there any other resolution to these disconnect issues?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mahd_t.

Thank you for the information. Just want to double check is your X710 network adapter Dell OEM version or Intel part? As you mentioned there is firmware and driver from Dell. Thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
MTara4
Beginner

WB,

We bought the FX2 chassis with the x710 cards builtin. I believe they are the Dell OEM version of the cards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mahd_t,

Dell* released their own NVM version 5.04. Have you tried using that version?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
MTara4
Beginner

WB,

Just to keep you posted, we have since disabled TCP offload on all of our ISCSI x710 NICs and we have not had any random disconnects. We believe now that disabling TCP offload resolves this issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jon,

Thank you for sharing the update and it is indeed good news to know the issue is resolve.

Again, thank you for your time and sharing the information.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos