Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

x710-t2l low throughput when connected to 2.5gbps wan modem

JustAThousand
Beginner

I have a x710-t2l running FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p18-HBSD

latest firmware and drivers

when I connect to 1gbps wan port on my ISP provided Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7) modem I can get ~940mbps download

when I connect to 2.5gbps wan port on the same modem, I can only get ~400-600mbps download

this is odd because x710-t2l claims full support for NBASE-T.

there is a thread describing the problem in more detail https://forum.netgate.com/topic/162333/intel-x710-issues

apparently this is a drivers issue for x710?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering issues with your Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T2L. For us to proceed checking your requst, kindly provide the following information. 

1. Exact Driver and Firmware version as well as the link where the packages were downloaded from.

2. Do you encounter the same issue when connected to 5 or 10gb? 

3. Is the 2.5gbps known to be working fine before or is this the first time you're trying this out? 

4. Is there any changes prior to the issue?

5. PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/ethernet-products/500-series-network-adapters-up-to-10gbe.html

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JustAThousand
Beginner

1. Exact Driver and Firmware version as well as the link where the packages were downloaded from.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189463/Intel-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-X710-T2L

firwmare is 8.15 latest

driver is 26.3 latest

2. Do you encounter the same issue when connected to 5 or 10gb? 

I cannot test 5gb or 10gb since the modem provided by my ISP only has 2.5GBASE-T or 1000BASE-T ports

3. Is the 2.5gbps known to be working fine before or is this the first time you're trying this out? 

it has never worked, please refer to the thread on netgates forum for people with similar issues. (people say this is a driver issue)

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/162333/intel-x710-issues/

4. Is there any changes prior to the issue?

never worked

5. PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

PBA: K37379-005

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Thank you for the swift response. 

We hope you don't mind providing the following details that would help isolating the issue. 

1. Cable type used

2. You may visit link below for Tuning Throughput Performance for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005811/ethernet-products.html

3. Do you have a different modem where you can test your connection?

4. Have you tried using older version of driver? 

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JustAThousand
Beginner
1. Cable type used
cat6 cable, not a cable issue

2. You may visit link below for Tuning Throughput Performance for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://isvc.lightning.force.com/lightning/r/Knowledge__kav/ka14U0000009MjXQAU/view
1000BASE-T works fine at 940mbps throughput
2.5GBAST-T only getting 400-600mbps

3. Do you have a different modem where you can test your connection?
its not a modem issue, this is comcast technicolor XB7 modem used by millions of people

4. Have you tried using older version of driver?
yes Ive tried many versions of the driver

please refer to the netgate forum thread as its a widespread issue
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to further check on this matter. We are also currently reviewing the netgate forum that you shared. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

Please see below update from our higher level support. We hope you don't mind sharing this with us.

1. You mentioned that you are using the latest firmware and driver version. 

Firmware is 8.15

Driver is 26.3 

However, will you be able to try updating the firmware and use the driver below? 

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Adapters 700 Series—FreeBSD*

Version: 8.30 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25792/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-700-Series-FreeBSD-

Version: 1.12.16 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25160/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Intel-Ethernet-Controller-700-Series-under-FreeBSD- 

2,Additionally, can you please provide front and back photos of the Ethernet adapter?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JustAThousand
Beginner

its hard for me to get photos right now since the adapter is inside a running server.

0 Kudos
JustAThousand
Beginner

I am using all latest drivers and firmware, i check those pages once a day for updates because of the problems i'm having. i am already on 8.30 and latest driver version.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Thank you for the swift response.

Please allow us to re-escalate this request to our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Good day!

Please be informed that we already escalated this request to our engineers and they are currently checking on this. Rest assured that we will give an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support  

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Please see below update from our engineering team. 

8.15 firmware is a bit outdated and we have 8.30 which is the latest.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25797/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-700-Series-EFI

With this, we would like to request to update the firmware to its latest version. There was some speed optimization for 2.5G/5G with respect to larger packets in 8.20 FW (also included in 8.3). However, this optimization is only to reach maximum line rate and you may also need to check the modem as this is a consumer level. It could also be the problem with the WAN modem.

Kindly update the firmware as it contains speed optimization however if same issue occurs, you may need to coordinate with the modem manufacturer for further assistance.

Refer to Intel® Ethernet NVM Update Tool: Quick Usage Guide for EFI that can also be downloaded from link above for the instructions. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our update. If yes, kindly confirm and let us know if you are able to perform firmware update. Feel free to let us know if you need more time in applying the update.

Awaiting to hear from you soon.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JustAThousand,

How are you doing?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos