Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

x722-DA4 shows up as PCIe version 1.

ChaiTea
Beginner

Hello,

I installed a new x722-Da4 in a server chassis with Ubuntu 16.04. The chassis also has on-board x722 adapter. lspci reports that all the x722 ports negotiated at  Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1. x722 are advertised as 8.0 GT/s, x8 but I don't get that. This is a 2nd chassis with 2nd manufacturer that I have tried and shows up the same issue.

Another Intel card x520 shows up to its advertised capacity. Please find SSU and lscpi dumps

thank you.

Chai.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Base on the specifications of the Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X722-DA4, the System Interface Type is

PCIe 3.0 (8.0 GT/s) be default. Here is the link:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/139351/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-x722-da4.html

Let me gather more details including the board that you are using to investigate the issue.

1. What is the brand model of the board that you are using?
  2. Which PCIe slot did you install the X722-DA4?
  3. Did you try installing it on a different slot?
  4. You mentioned that you already tried the X722-DA4 on a different system, please provide the brand and model of the other system used.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
ChaiTea
Beginner

Michael,

The card is installed in SuperMicro server (https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/system/3U/6039/SSG-6039P-E1CR16H.cfm)

I have tried different slots and get the same result.

Earlier chassis was a older kontron 3U, I don't have specs on that one at this moment but I had another thread about that one (which intel closed prematurely) you can find my communication about that one here. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/x710-da4-negotiating-lower-PCIe-LnkSta-and-LnkCap/td-p/1230858/highlight/false

I have moved the same card over to the SuperMicro chassis as it is newer and supports PCIe 3.0 

Chai.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

I am sorry if the thread was closed due to inactivity and reviewing the old thread, we are asking for the following details:

1. Have you already checked with the Motherboard (MB) manufacturer to check for compatibility?

2. May we ask if you have already tried to update the MB BIOS?

3. We noticed in the SSU that you BIOS was in "Legacy" mode, may we ask if you have already tried changing that to UEFI?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ChaiTea
Beginner

Hello Michael,

Answers to your questions below:

1. Have you already checked with the Motherboard (MB) manufacturer to check for compatibility?

[Chai] I haven't found any document that spells out incompatibility between this mother-board and x722-Da4. Note that Intel only lists compatibility matrix with their server boards, by the same logic it is impossible to expect motherboard manufacturers to list/test compatibility with all Intel network cards.

2. May we ask if you have already tried to update the MB BIOS?

The BIOS is up to date.

3. We noticed in the SSU that you BIOS was in "Legacy" mode, may we ask if you have already tried changing that to UEFI?

The current chassis supports UEFI and has been booted in that mode. Please check the ssu output I have attached to the start of this thread.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

Thank you for the quick response. Base on the link that you provided of your server system I tried to check the compatible OS and tested AOC list. What I did was from the link, I clicked on the motherboard because the compatibility will always depends on the motherboard.

First thing that I noticed is the OS. base on the SSU that you provided, you are using Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS and your board supports Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS.

Second is when I opened the tested AOC list and your board only supports AOC network cards.

Here are the links that I opened while reviewing your systems website.

1. The is the link that you provided and form this link, I clicked on the motherboard which is X11DPH-T: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/system/3U/6039/SSG-6039P-E1CR16H.cfm
  2. I got the specifications of the board and from this link, I clicked on the tested AOC list and OS compatibility: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11DPH-T

Note: These links are from SuperMicro which is a different company from Intel and the details that are on these links are from SuperMicro.

Now, here are my recommendations. At the point, it is best to contact SuperMicro to check if the X722-DA4 is compatible with the system and how to maximize the speed if the card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ChaiTea
Beginner

Hello Michael,

1. Are you suggesting that I change the OS from 16.04.04 to 16.04.02?

2. Is the x722-D4 card I am using not an AOC card?

3. As I said in my earlier email, approaching SuperMicro for this issue is not a good idea, expectation that they test compatibility with all the network cards is not valid. Given that other intel card don't exhibit this issue and same card shows same issue on other chassis also points the issue being with card.

Please consider what other diagnostics you can perform on this card in its current setup.

Chai.  

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Let me answer your 3 questions below:

1. We did not ask you to change your OS, however as per the information that I sent, the OS that you are using is not validated.
  2. I just provided that information to tell you that there is a list of AOC card. That is why we advised that kindly check with your board manufacturer for the list of supported Ethernet cards and check if X722-DA4 is one of them.
  3. Different cards may have different behavior on other boards, however on this set up we do not know if the card is validated on your board.

Bottom line, everything will depend on the boards supported components and how those components will behave will depend on its BIOS and how the card is being designed. That is why the compatibility is always dictated by the board and not the components or peripherals.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

I just want to check if you have tried contacting the manufacturer of the board for further support.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ChaiTea
Beginner

Michael,

Working avenues to connect to board manufacturer, but the whole exercise seems irrelevant. Optimized board operation is one thing, but a basic recognition of PCIe capabilities (the issue) is another. 

How can Intel advertise this card for off the shelf deployment, if it is strongly tied to the motherbord it runs on. 

Have found other ways of diagnosing this issue? can this ticket be escalated.

Chai.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

We already escalated this issue before the first thread was closed and one of the details that we need to check is verify the compatibility with the manufacturer of the board and in addition when you provided the details of your system in this thread, this is the time when we checked the compatible OS and components for your board, which lead us that we really need to further check the compatibility and supported network card of the board because the network card as itself should work normally on a compatible system.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

We just want to check if you are now talking to the manufacturer of the board for further assistance on the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ChaiTea,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you already tried contacting the manufacturer of the board regarding the issue.. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos