Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

xl710 dcbx query linux x86_64

AnthonyC
Beginner

I have XL710 card running on linux 5.8.0 kernel.  Driver version is 2.8.20-k.  I understood the card has firmware based DCBx agent by default.

According to note in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.8/networking/device_drivers/intel/i40e.html that "The i40e driver implements the DCB netlink interface layer to allow user-space to communicate with the driver and query DCB configuration for the port."

What is command, tool can query and display DCB configuring of the port?  Couple examples will be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you please share the exact Operating System used and model of your Xl710 adapter? If possible, kindly share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

You may also consider visiting link below for the read me file of Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCIe* 40 Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections under Linux*. Scroll down to Data Center Bridging (DCB) for more information and advise if this helps with your query.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24411/eng/readme_2.15.9.txt

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AnthonyC
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

The OS is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which has linux kernel 5.8.0.  The card number you're asking I think is J65979-003.

The readme file link you referred to has the same as I quoted.  It says 

- The driver implements the DCB netlink interface layer to allow the user space
to communicate with the driver and query DCB configuration for the port.

That's my question what is the command or tool to use to query DCB configuration for the port ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Thank you for the quick reply and providing the details that we requested.

Since you asked for sample commands, can you try the following commands and tell us if they worked:

run -node node1 -command dcb show

display dcb

display dcb pfc-profile

show dcb [stack-unit unit-number]

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AnthonyC
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thank you for response and suggestions.  My operating system is Ubuntu linux system.  "run", "display", "show" do not look like any recognized bash shell and software commands.  Are they mean to be run within an application shell ?

Regards,

Anthony

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Thank you for the update. Did you try to launch a terminal to open the command shell? Kindly update is if you cannot run the commands so that we can further assist you.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AnthonyC
Beginner

Michael,

Yes I opened terminal window to try these commands.  Like I pointed out these are not Ubuntu bash shell commands.  I just got error, for example, "Command 'run' not found"

Regards,

Anthony

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to further check this query with our higher level support. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

You mentioned on your initial post that you are using XL710 adapter with PBA J65979-003. However, upon checking PBA J65979-003 it is equivalent to HP Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version of Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2. With this, can you confirm the exact model of the Ethernet adapter that you used?

Sharing with you the link of latest i40e driver.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCIe* 40 Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections under Linux*

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24411/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCIe-40-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Connections-under-Linux-

You may try to install the latest driver version then open the link below and scroll down to FW-LLDP (Firmware Link Layer Discovery Protocol) for the sample commands you requested. 

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24411/eng/readme_2.16.11.txt

FW-LLDP (Firmware Link Layer Discovery Protocol)

------------------------------------------------

Use ethtool to change FW-LLDP settings. The FW-LLDP setting is per port and

persists across boots.

To enable LLDP:

# ethtool --set-priv-flags <ethX> disable-fw-lldp off

To disable LLDP:

# ethtool --set-priv-flags <ethX> disable-fw-lldp on

To check the current LLDP setting:

# ethtool --show-priv-flags <ethX>

NOTE: You must enable the UEFI HII "LLDP Agent" attribute for this setting to

take effect. If "LLDP AGENT" is set to disabled, you cannot enable it from the

OS.

Additionally, we highly suggest to look through the entire section of Data Center Bridging (DCB) (same link above) for more information.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications. 

Awaiting to hear from you soon. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AnthonyC
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

The card model is 661SFP28.

Thank you for readme file link.  This readme file is similar to other Intel i40e driver readme files I found.  I don't want to disable FW-LLDP mode.  I am looking for command example to simply query the i40e driver about DCB configuration of the card.  This latest readme says the similar thing like the others.

The local user can only query the negotiated DCB configuration.

So my question is how to do the query on the card ?

Thanks,

Anthony

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Thank you for the reply.

After checking, we have confirmed that you are using HP Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version of Intel® Ethernet Adapter. For OEM version of Ethernet adapters, please be informed that we may have a limited support on this and it would be best if you can also get in touch with HP for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter.

HP Site Support

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/sitesupport?language=en_US

While you are getting in touch with HP, we will also further check this with our engineers and give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Apologies for the delay on our update.

Please refer to below information for the feedback from our engineering team. 

There is a tool included with Linux distributions called dcbtool. Here is the man page for Ubuntu:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/dcbtool.8.html

More information can also be found on the open source page:

https://github.com/intel/openlldp

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications.

Awaiting to hear from you.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our update. If yes, please confirm and let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AnthonyC,

I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos