Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

xl710-qda2 to xl710-qda2 without a switch

Robe30
Beginner

I'm having trouble when trying to network a server and pc together using two xl710-qda cards. Both systems are running Opensuse Linux distro.

I know that direct communication between the two will work if the NIC supports auto-MDIX, but I am not able to establish the 40gbe connection from my pc to the server.

Am I wrong to assume that this is possible with two xl710?

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Robe30,

Before we proceed, is there any chance that you will try the validated cables that I provided before?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Robe30
Beginner

I did try the validated electrical cable and it worked. The problem with these validated cables that you linked is that they only go up to 9m in length. This is why I need to use optical cables instead.

None of the links you've sent so far have any "optical" validated cables that are known to work with xl710-qda2 and E40GQSFPSR. This is why I just bought a few optical cables of varying length and type, of which none worked.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Robe30,

Thank you for the confirmation. Let me further check this issue and get back to you.

Please give us 24 to 48 hours to provide an update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Robe30,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update.

After further investigation, The cable models that you provided are Type A or Method A fiber cables. To connect the two E40GQSFPSR modules back to back, you need a Type B or Method B fiber cable. This provides the crossover. Alternately there are crossover connections, but this would require 2 cables.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Robe30
Beginner

What do you mean by "Alternately there are crossover connections, but this would require 2 cables". I do have two non-crossover cables - how can I try what you're talking about?

My impression was that modern NICs don't really require crossover cables because they can reconfigure themselves anyway. In fact the electrical cable I used (the one that worked) is not a crossover cable. What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Robe30,

Let us focus first on your current configuration. Can you tell us or explain further your connections? And How long is the cable that you required since you mentioned that the validated cables is only 9 meters.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Robe30,

I just want to make a follow up on the last information that I requested regarding your connection. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Robe30,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos