FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

2S2Rx8 (3DS) RDIMM EMIF IP calibration

ushermark
Novice

Hello.

I am wonder if it is possible to pass EMIF RAM calibration on Arria 10 FPGA for 2S2Rx8 ECC memory using non-3DS type like 2Rx8 RDIMM ECC. I know that Arria 10 doesn't support 3DS memories, but the only difference seems to be in Chip ID signal (C0...C2). Therefore, can I overcome this restriction or 3DS memories use different calibration algorithms?

Memory sample used for tests: Micron MTA72ASS8G72PSZ-2S6.

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Mark,

"Is it possible to implement own hard memory controller in Quartus project? Or it is a part of hardware specification for FPGA?"

• Yes you can implement your own memory controller as soft memory controller with hard PHY.
  • In the General tab of EMIF IP, there is a configuration option that allow you to choose a Hard PHY and Hard Memory Controller.
  • Somehow it's depends on memory standard as well.

Regards,

Adzim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your question.

As you well known that the Arria 10 DDR4 does not support 3DS memory.

I already check with engineering regarding this matter and they have feedback with below point.

• This is due to the Arria 10 does not have support for the Chip ID bits required.
  • Plus the hard memory controller does not support 3DS and the Chip ID bits.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
ushermark
Novice

Hello Adzim,

I do have a follow-up question. Is it possible to implement own hard memory controller in Quartus project? Or it is a part of hardware specification for FPGA?

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Mark,

"Is it possible to implement own hard memory controller in Quartus project? Or it is a part of hardware specification for FPGA?"

• Yes you can implement your own memory controller as soft memory controller with hard PHY.
  • In the General tab of EMIF IP, there is a configuration option that allow you to choose a Hard PHY and Hard Memory Controller.
  • Somehow it's depends on memory standard as well.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos