FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5920 Discussions

A10 PCIe SR-IOV tag"... follow-on: Can tag/completion processing be moved to the Application Layer?

RWitt
Beginner

PPham3 had asked a question on his "A10 PCIe SR-IOV tag"... question about extended tag support, I don't see a way to ask a follow on so I'm asking it in a new question.

I understand that Intel has chosen to only support 64 of the possible 256 extended tags (that the PCIe spec supports, and other cores support). But, is there a way to configure the core to not process tags/completion-handling, i.e. move that processing to the application layer so that the user can support a full 256-tags?

In the FPGA Tools Forum I have a similar question:

Platform Designer - A10 PCIe SR-IOV core set for (3) PFs - do the PFs have to share the 64 extended non-posted tags, or does each PF get 64 tags?

In that one I mention that I see that the RTL generated when selecting Avalon-MM DMA supports 256 tags, and that the Intel DMA soft logic appears to manage those tags - and the HIP can be programmed to support 256 tags. So there appears to be a way to allow external support for managing more than the HIP's limitation: 64-tags. If so, how do you tell the HIP not to manage tags?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nathan_R_Intel
Employee

Hie,

Please check my replies to your questions:

1. But, is there a way to configure the core to not process tags/completion-handling, i.e. move that processing to the application layer so that the user can support a full 256-tags? My apologies, but no currently, there no method by Intel.

2. A10 PCIe SR-IOV core set for (3) PFs - do the PFs have to share the 64 extended non-posted tags, or does each PF get 64 tags? The PF's have to share the 64 extended non-posted tags.

3. In that one I mention that I see that the RTL generated when selecting Avalon-MM DMA supports 256 tags, and that the Intel DMA soft logic appears to manage those tags - and the HIP can be programmed to support 256 tags. So there appears to be a way to allow external support for managing more than the HIP's limitation: 64-tags. If so, how do you tell the HIP not to manage tags?

My apologies, but Intel does offer the option to configure HIP to manage tags

Regards,

Nathan