FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

ALTFP_DIV vs ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS's Divider

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am migrating design from Startix V to Arria 10. I observed that in the Stratix V design there are the ALTFP_DIV IPs(Quartus II 15.0) provided which actually donot provide any details regarding the operating frequency in the megawizard. The other option is the ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS(Quartus II 15.0) with divider function, which perfectly details the required frequency and the latency supported. The resource utilization varies between the two IPs are different for the same latency. I would like to confirm if ALTFP is outdated ?? Also I was not able to find this IP in Quartus Prime 16.0(I am using migrating to Arria 10 in this version) . I also find the latency numbers are more flexible in the ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS. Kindly add your comments.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ALTFP_DIV is an older core and I suspect ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS replaces it on Arria 10 and beyond since those devices support floating point units. Here is the documentation in case you haven't seen it yet: https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altfp_mfug.pdf

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All,  

For the floating point implementation, this is recommended to use ALTERA_FP_FUNCTION, this new mega function is going to replace all of the old alfpt* operation 

Best Regards, 

Terence 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos