FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

ALTPLL for SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm totaly inexperienced with FPGA, Quartus II, SoPC Builder and the whole stuff.  

I started with the Altera tutorial Introduction_to_the_Altera_SOPC_Builder and using_the_SDRAM. Helped me to get started but now i have some questions.  

First of all, for the system I want to create, i only need NIOS II and SDRAM. I noticed in the SDRAM tutorial that i probably will need a PLL. Now I read some datasheets and dokumentations, also searched in this forum, but didn't found the answer. 

How do I get the right timing for PLL? I found following caldulation: 

Max. lag = min(read lag, write lag) 

Max. lead = min(read lead, write lead)  

with 

Read lag = T[SUB]O[/SUB][SUB]H[/SUB](sdram) - T[SUB]H[/SUB](FPGA)  

Write lag = T[SUB]CLK [/SUB]- T[SUB]CO_MAX[/SUB](FPGA) - T[SUB]ds[/SUB](SDRAM)  

Read lead = T[SUB]clk[/SUB] - T[SUB]hz[/SUB](SDRAM) - T[SUB]su[/SUB](FPGA)  

Write lead = T[SUB]co_min[/SUB](FPGA) - T[SUB]dh[/SUB](SDRAM)  

Is that right? I found the timing parameters for SDRAM on my board (is42s1632od-7tl) but can't find anything for the FPGA. I'm using DE2-115 Cyclone 4. Please, tell me if I'm on the wrong way, just want to understand this stuff. 

PS: sorry for my english
0 Kudos
0 Replies