FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

ALtera FFT Outputs in SignalTapII

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm using an Alter 1024-point FFT IP (burst) and after implementing it I used SignalTapII for the FFT outputs acquisition. Now, I want to plot these output values using MATLAB but I'm a little confused about the format of these outputs. For testing I used 32-bit real input, all ones, and the imaginary is fixed to zero. 

How are the real and exponent outputs represented; are they just decimal, signed or two's complement signed? How can I correctly plot these outputs? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I'm using an Alter 1024-point FFT IP (burst) and after implementing it I used SignalTapII for the FFT outputs acquisition. Now, I want to plot these output values using MATLAB but I'm a little confused about the format of these outputs. For testing I used 32-bit real input, all ones, and the imaginary is fixed to zero. 

How are the real and exponent outputs represented; are they just decimal, signed or two's complement signed? How can I correctly plot these outputs? 

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

altera fftcore if set to block floating point then output = fft_output * 2^(-exponent) 

Re/im data & exponent are all signed. 

signed = decimal = 2's complement...usually