FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

About HSMC connectors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

I am doing a project on the serial communication using the transceivers present in the Stratix II GX ep2sgx90ff1508c3 

For this i am using the HSMC connector slot available on the board for the loopback operation. 

SO now I have 6 TX-RX channels on HSMA & 4 TX-RX channels on HSMB connections.. 

If I insert the HSMC cards(connectors) that is attached here in the HSMC slot the loopback operation should work properly right??? 

Or if any other hardware need to be connected like cables to HSMC connectors as told in the High Speed Mezzanine Card (HSMC) 

Specification link:www.altera.com/literature/ds/hsmc_spec.pdf ??? 

Apart from assigning the TXDATA & RXDATA pin locations that are available on the HSMC connectors any other signals should be  

assigned while doing pin assignment. I only assigned the TXDATA & RXDATA pin locations thats it.... 

Should I assigned the signals like HSMA_CLK_IN0,JTAG_TDO,JTAG_TMS,HSMA_D0-D3,HSMA_JTAG_TDO,JTAG_TCK,HSMA_SDA.... 

I am new to the HSMC connectors please any one who knows about it ........ 

please reply.......
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If I insert the HSMC cards(connectors) that is attached here in the HSMC slot the loopback operation should work properly right??? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, they will implement a loopback of the TX-to-RX signals. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Apart from assigning the TXDATA & RXDATA pin locations that are available on the HSMC connectors any other signals should be  

assigned while doing pin assignment. I only assigned the TXDATA & RXDATA pin locations thats it.... 

--- Quote End ---  

Make sure to set the unused pins option to 'as input tri-state' or 'as input with weak-pull-ups enabled' (I think one of these is the default for newer devices) and you'll be fine. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How we can make sure that the unused input pins are tri-stated or being pull-ups enabled.........in case where the board is being used many times.... 

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, they will implement a loopback of the TX-to-RX signals. 

Make sure to set the unused pins option to 'as input tri-state' or 'as input with weak-pull-ups enabled' (I think one of these is the default for newer devices) and you'll be fine. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a setting under the Assignments menu; 

Assignments, Device, Device and Pin Options, Unused pins tab. 

There is a corresponding Tcl command. You can set this option and then generate a Tcl file for the project to determine the parameter for your specific device. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Sir:):):):) very much for the quick response 

--- Quote Start ---  

There is a setting under the Assignments menu; 

Assignments, Device, Device and Pin Options, Unused pins tab. 

There is a corresponding Tcl command. You can set this option and then generate a Tcl file for the project to determine the parameter for your specific device. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos