FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Advice about industrial bus for 3,7 Gbps transfers

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

I need to make transfers PC-FPGA based system and need to select a bus for industrial environment. I was considering to use 10 Gpbs Ethernet or 3.0 USB but I am not sure this is the best way. Optical links can be the solution but I never used this kind of links. 

By the way I would like to solve the problem with an IP ready for SOPC. I never purchased an IP and I don´t know the price range of it. 

What do you think about? Any idea about the price range of an IP for such this transfer speed rate? 

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is gonna be expensive, because at some point you need to use a protocols that PC use and that will require some expensive IP 

AFAIK, here are your more realistic options. 

1. 10 GbE. 

You'll need an off-the-shelf 10 GbE card and a 10 GbE core. 

However, the PC's CPU may have trouble with keeping up with raw 10 GbE (too many small packets) and you may need to add a TCP/IP core in the FPGA to take advantage of the TCP Offload Engine that the 10 GbE card will certainly have. 

2. Infinband 

Like 10 GbE, you'll need a off-the-shelf Infiniband card and a Infiniband IP. Unlike 10 GbE, you won't need a TCP/IP core or nothing of the sorts. 

Be carefull: Infiniband's interoperability between diferent OEMs isn't always the best. 

3. PCIe over fiber 

There are -- although I can't find the links right now -- some PCIe over fiber-optic bridges. 

You'll need a couple of those off-the-shelf bridges and a PCIe IP core. 

This will make your FPGA look like it's directly connected to the PC's PCIe tree. 

Not terribly sure this is a good idea though! 

4. SeriaLite II 

Since there aren't -- AFAIK -- off-the-shelf SeriaLite II cards, you'll need a PCIe FPGA devkit with optical links, SeriaLite II IP core and a PCI/PCI-X/PCIe IP core. 

Despite requiring 2 IP cores, it may be the best option. 

I'm not terribly familiar with prices but 10-20K USD, maybe more. 

But you'll need to contact an Altera representative for that.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for the quick answer. 

I´m starting to panic as far as I only can spend 6k on IP cores... 

What do you think about USB 3.0?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Might be a good option as well, but I'm not familiar with it. 

You may (or not) have problems getting the full 3.6 Gbit/s out of USB 3.0. 

In any case, I might be a bit off in regard for prices, so try and get some quotes before you panic. :) 

BTW, some of Xilinx's Virtex5 and Virtex6 include a PCIe 1.1 endpoint for free. Maybe these are more expensive FPGA than you were planning to use but you might want to check out prices for a Xilinx based solution as well. 

Xilinx's equivalent to SeriaLite II is Aurora.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can use PCIe embedded core and low cost FPGA to communicate using PCIe over fiber at 2.5 Gb/s (205 MB/s device to PC benchmark) or 5 Gb/s using PCIe Gen2 (Stratix-IV). 

Using multiple PCIe lanes you can communicate over fiber optic up to x4/x8 lanes. 

To do so you need a Host controller similar to Adnaco-H1 and just place fiber optic transceivers on your board similar to Adnaco-RFPGA  

Coming soon an Adnaco-H1A which support PCIe Gen2 (5 Gb/s) industrial temperature grade and Adnaco-H2 for x4 lanes.  

Details you can find on adnaco web site. 

Sergej
0 Kudos