FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Altera TSE driver for lwip

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I am in the middle of a project and a kind of stucked. My experience with altera, nios and so on is maybe 2 months now. What a colleague and me have reached for now:
  • Porting FreeRtos Realtime scheduler to the NIOS2. There some small problems with the demo tasks left but its stable, running on a custom Cyclone2 Hardware.
  • Integrated the TSE from Altera with a native supported PHY from National 

• Implemented the lwip TCP/IP Stack port for FreeRTOS.
And now I am a bit frustrated:  

It seems for me to be very hard to make the final part: A lwip driver for the TSE. I have looked into the sources of the Niche driver and lwip driver for different MACs. But its a bit too high level for me I think. The Altera documentation for the MAC is a bit poor mainly because they suggest to use it with the Niche and µCos anyway. I searched a lot but couldn't find anyone or anything dealing with lwip and TSE. Have I looked not well enough? Is there maybe a better or easier MAC like the opencores one to write a driver for or is there maybe an existing one? If there is now other way I am forced to write the driver myself, maybe You have some good starting advices?  

Thank you very much in advance for any help and suggestions. 

Sincerely John
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

John, 

Did you come up with an lwIP Altera TSE Ethernet driver? I'm going down the same path and either need to find one or write one. I'm planning on doing the latter unless you or anyone has a driver that can be freely used. 

Thanks, 

Bill
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

Could say if you find a way to write a TSE driver for LWIP ? 

thanks  

dvb_man
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Could say if you find a way to write a TSE driver for LWIP ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, I did. The current TSE driver can be adapted to lwIP. At the point it receives a packet, you want to put it on a queue that low_level_input calls will pick up. For output, low_level_output can send the packet much like the current driver does now. The one difference is you pass a lwIP pbuf pointer in and out of the driver. 

Bill
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos