FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Avalon -MM Intel Stratix 10 Hard IP+ for PCI Express

AGaru1
Beginner

Hi,

i'm trying to use the Avalon -MM Intel Stratix 10 Hard IP+ for PCI Express for my FPGA application but the use guide doesn't provide me enough informations for my level of knowledge. Is there any other document that i can start with? Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AGaru1
Beginner

If i'm not planning on using a DMA, can i just stick to the Bursting Interfaces?

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Yes, if without using the DMA, you can disable the Read/Write mover, and use the Busting Avalon MM interface for host to communicate with your application layer.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

Now i gotta decide if i need both the master and slave bursting interfaces or i can just stick to one of them.

In my design i have a RX and a TX module. (rx and tx name depends on the communication with a camera , not the pcie).

The first one reads a memory location and sends the data over the pcie to the host computer.

The second one receives a data from host through the pcie and writes it in a memory location (another memory, not the previous one).

DO you think i need to use both the interfaces slave and master or i can just use one of them since they are bidirectional?

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

I forgot to say that in the RX module, i send the data to the host everytime the memory is not empty. So if there is data in memory, a process will fetch it from the memory and sends it to the host.

In the TX part, if the memory is not full, a process will allow the reception of data from the host at the memory location specified by the TX module (not specified by the host).

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

I tried to generate the example design but i get this error:

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Auto-generation of QSYS example design beginning...

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Validating example design parameters and selection...

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Parametrization is valid.

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Auto-generation of QSYS example design in progress based on variant parameter settings

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Pin assignments are not included in pcie_ed.qsf

as no development kit is specified.

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: save_system C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/alt8353_40724721456274277.dir/0002_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen/pcie_ed.qsys

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Generating QSYS system pcie_ed.qsys

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Running: qsys-script --pro --script=pcie_ed.tcl

Error: avmm_bridge_512_0: Unable to create pcie_ed.qsys, read pcie_ed_tcl_log.txt for log

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Copied pcie_ed.tcl and pcie_ed_tcl_log.txt to the example design directory.

Error: Failed to generate example design example_design to: C:\Designes\TRUEVIEW\pcie_hard_ip\avmm_bridge_512_0_example_design

Also if i open the file pcie_ed_tcl_log.txt i read:

2020.03.31.17:24:14 Warning: Both --quartus-project and --new-quartus-project switches are not used. A new Quartus project named pcie_ed will be created using the tcl script filename: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\alt8352_8205035805552475495.dir\0051_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen\pcie_ed.qpf.

2020.03.31.17:24:14 Info: Doing: qsys-script --pro --script=C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/alt8352_8205035805552475495.dir/0051_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen/pcie_ed.tcl

2020.03.31.17:24:28 Error: Failed to create Quartus Project, manually re-run the commands included in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\alt8352_8205035805552475495.dir\0051_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen\quartus_sh_tcl_file_for_qsyspro.tcl in Quartus tcl shell.

Any advice, please?

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

The bursting slave interface allows the user application in the FGPA to access the PCIe system memory. Do you use FPGA (endpoint) to issue a memory read/write request to the host? If yes, then you need this interface.

As for the example design generation, I use v19,3 to generate the example design, and it works well. Could you please try to use v19.3 if you are not doing so?

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
AGaru1
Beginner

We are using the 19.4 Pro Edition with license.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, i'm not sure. I gotta try again.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Thanks. Please do let me know if more help is needed here.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos