FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

Avalon -MM Intel Stratix 10 Hard IP+ for PCI Express

AGaru1
Beginner

Hi,

i'm trying to use the Avalon -MM Intel Stratix 10 Hard IP+ for PCI Express for my FPGA application but the use guide doesn't provide me enough informations for my level of knowledge. Is there any other document that i can start with? Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AGaru1
Beginner

If i'm not planning on using a DMA, can i just stick to the Bursting Interfaces?

SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Yes, if without using the DMA, you can disable the Read/Write mover, and use the Busting Avalon MM interface for host to communicate with your application layer.

Regards -SK

AGaru1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

Now i gotta decide if i need both the master and slave bursting interfaces or i can just stick to one of them.

In my design i have a RX and a TX module. (rx and tx name depends on the communication with a camera , not the pcie).

The first one reads a memory location and sends the data over the pcie to the host computer.

The second one receives a data from host through the pcie and writes it in a memory location (another memory, not the previous one).

DO you think i need to use both the interfaces slave and master or i can just use one of them since they are bidirectional?

AGaru1
Beginner

I forgot to say that in the RX module, i send the data to the host everytime the memory is not empty. So if there is data in memory, a process will fetch it from the memory and sends it to the host.

In the TX part, if the memory is not full, a process will allow the reception of data from the host at the memory location specified by the TX module (not specified by the host).

AGaru1
Beginner

I tried to generate the example design but i get this error:

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Auto-generation of QSYS example design beginning...

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Validating example design parameters and selection...

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Parametrization is valid.

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Auto-generation of QSYS example design in progress based on variant parameter settings

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Pin assignments are not included in pcie_ed.qsf

as no development kit is specified.

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: save_system C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/alt8353_40724721456274277.dir/0002_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen/pcie_ed.qsys

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Generating QSYS system pcie_ed.qsys

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Running: qsys-script --pro --script=pcie_ed.tcl

Error: avmm_bridge_512_0: Unable to create pcie_ed.qsys, read pcie_ed_tcl_log.txt for log

Info: avmm_bridge_512_0: Copied pcie_ed.tcl and pcie_ed_tcl_log.txt to the example design directory.

Error: Failed to generate example design example_design to: C:\Designes\TRUEVIEW\pcie_hard_ip\avmm_bridge_512_0_example_design

Also if i open the file pcie_ed_tcl_log.txt i read:

2020.03.31.17:24:14 Warning: Both --quartus-project and --new-quartus-project switches are not used. A new Quartus project named pcie_ed will be created using the tcl script filename: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\alt8352_8205035805552475495.dir\0051_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen\pcie_ed...

2020.03.31.17:24:14 Info: Doing: qsys-script --pro --script=C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/alt8352_8205035805552475495.dir/0051_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen/pcie_ed.tcl

2020.03.31.17:24:28 Error: Failed to create Quartus Project, manually re-run the commands included in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\alt8352_8205035805552475495.dir\0051_avmm_bridge_512_0_gen\quartus... in Quartus tcl shell.

Any advice, please?

SengKok_L_Intel

The bursting slave interface allows the user application in the FGPA to access the PCIe system memory. Do you use FPGA (endpoint) to issue a memory read/write request to the host? If yes, then you need this interface.

As for the example design generation, I use v19,3 to generate the example design, and it works well. Could you please try to use v19.3 if you are not doing so?

Regards -SK

AGaru1
Beginner

We are using the 19.4 Pro Edition with license.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, i'm not sure. I gotta try again.

SengKok_L_Intel

Thanks. Please do let me know if more help is needed here.

Regards -SK