FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Avalon master to SDR Sdram help please

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:confused: Hi 

I have created an Avalon master which is connected to the SDR Sdram controller. I am not using nios but am using an external micro. Being new to this I am having a problem with using the output from Sopc. Can anyone throw some light on how I can access my Sdram using the 2 files that have been generated? (see attachments) Currently I get this warning in amongst others: Info: Pin zs_dq_to_and_from_the_sdram[1] has a permanently disabled output enable 

This happens on all the data lines to the dram ic. It appears that the dram controller is not using this line and so it is being disabled... which of course is crazy :(  

All help will be appreciated  

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been working on a similar problem, I am working on a VGA generator. I found a simpler SDRAM controller than the avalon one, it is part of the download for the CII starter kit, you do not need to use the SOPC builder or avalon to get it to work. It comes with the 'cyclone ii starter development kit (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc2-2c20n.html)' you can download the CD distribution that comes with it for free from the altera web site. I am using the starter kit and it works fine, I am sure you could use it with any board and SDRAM. The filename is 'Sdram_Controller.v"

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for that 

I looked on Altera's site but did not manage to find the download that you spoke of. :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah, I am sorry. I can not remember where in the altera.com site it is, but there is a better place anyhow. The hardware kits for altera are actually made by a company terasic, and on their web site they have a many great resources for downloading. Also, I highly recommend getting one of their boards, I have the Cyclone II one it is relatively inexpensive ($150) and it is a great way to get yourself started without having to worry about the hardware while learning all the tools like Quartus.  

Having said all that, the link ishttp://www.terasic.com/downloads/cd-rom/de1/ 

download the zip file and load it onto your hard drive someplace, there is a folder in there DE1_USB_API, and it has the SDRAM controller files. It is really easy to use, I got my VGA project going in just a couple of hours using that controller (Sdram_Controller.v).  

Good luck !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for that, I have taken your advice and placed my order for the DE1. Just as a matter of interest, did you do your project on the DE1 or a different board? Was the dram exactly the same?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yup, I bought the DE1. I thought it was a good value for us beginners. It comes with some demo programs including one that uses the SDRAM. You can easily start with that and modify it. Also, they include schematics and all source ! yeah.

0 Kudos