FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5949 Discussions

Building an OSD with VIP Frame Reader

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We're designing an OSD for our monitor project and what we are attempting to do is use a Frame Reader to read out our OSD frame as a single plane, 8 bit pixel. This 8 bit value is then converted to a full 30 bit color with 8 bits of alpha in a custom Color LUT. The development of the Color LUT was done using a test source to speed up build times. (No DDR controller was required therefore a Frame Reader was not used.) Now that we're integrating it into the main design the video path isn't working. 

It's most likely something in our Color LUT, but before I get too crazy trying to debug this I was wondering if the Frame Reader, or any VIP block for that matter, can actually produce a single color plane pixel. The FR wizard allows me to set it up as an 8 bit, 1 plane source but does it actually work in that configuration?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

did you try the TPG for a color plane?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used the TPG as a test source for developing the Color LUT block. However, it doesn't have the option to create a single color plane so I ran it as an 8 bit source with 3 color planes in series then fudged the control packet coming out of our LUT to be 3x wider than the original source.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

use TPG into CPS and extract a single color plane

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried that as well and the CPS put out an invalid control packet. It got to the end of the packet and asserted EOP then repeated the last 3 words and asserted EOP again. 

But the test environment isn't the issue anyways. We still need the Frame Reader to extract our OSD information from RAM, ideally as 8 bit, single plane pixels.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think there is a reference design by vipjon on the forum that has OSD functionality with the frame reader

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It may worth SignalTaping the Valid/Ready signal along the video path to see if any block creating backpressure.