FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

CVI distortion

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

I'm experiencing distortion in my VIP path where I'm mixing two video streams: 

TPG (800x600p RGB) -> MIXER_DIN_0 

CVI (640x480p RGB) -> FRAMEBUFFER -> MIXER_DIN_1 

The VIP chain is using a 50MHz system clock. 

The MIXER outputs 800x600p RGB 3 colorplanes(colorbars) in parallel @60Hz using a 40MHz clock. 

The CVI is clocking the 640X480 video stream inn using a 25.175MHz clock. The FRAMEBUFFER is setup for frame dropping/repetition. I'm pretty sure the 640x480 stream is correct prior to the CVI as I have clocked it out to a screen. However, when I provide the 640x480 stream to the CVI I'm getting distortion in the 640x480 overlay of the 800x600 video output. Can anyone provide som pointers here ? If this is timing related, how can it be fixed ? 

Saber890
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems I managed to figure this one out.  

The Framebuffer read/write masters were accessing the same DDR2 SDRAM memory locations as an deinterlacer was using.  

This was causing the strange patterns in the output video. I changed the memory location for the FrameBuffer and now the output distortion is gone. 

Regards,  

Saber890