FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Calculating Latency of DSP Builder System if Channel In and Out Blocks not used

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I want to implement basic averaging block in dsp builder and control it by using qsys.  

I have added five register field to obtain data from qsys and then I add them by using five inputs adder then multiply the result with 0.2. 

Finally, I write the result of the multiplication to the RegOut block. 

I have not used channel in and channel out blocks as in the example of demo_regs.mdl. Therefore, I do not know the latency of my dsp builder system. 

If I read the RegOut block soon after writing the data registers I read wrong result because the dsp builder system has not calculated the result yet. 

How can I know the latency of my dsp builder system and how can I understand finishing of the calculation? 

Thanks, 

Omer
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi everyone, 

I want to implement basic averaging block in dsp builder and control it by using qsys.  

I have added five register field to obtain data from qsys and then I add them by using five inputs adder then multiply the result with 0.2. 

Finally, I write the result of the multiplication to the RegOut block. 

I have not used channel in and channel out blocks as in the example of demo_regs.mdl. Therefore, I do not know the latency of my dsp builder system. 

If I read the RegOut block soon after writing the data registers I read wrong result because the dsp builder system has not calculated the result yet. 

How can I know the latency of my dsp builder system and how can I understand finishing of the calculation? 

Thanks, 

Omer 

--- Quote End ---  

just pass some data and visualise the result (using spectroscope block of simulink) at any point
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Kaz, 

This is my dsp builder system. Where can I pass some data and see the result from the scope?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

unfortunately can't open your design. 

for input use any of the "sources" blocks(of simulink) 

for visualising use scope from "sinks" blocks(of simulink)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried using GPIn / GPOuts, then using Properties ... > Block Annotation > latency = %<latencyCorrection>

0 Kudos