FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5954 Discussions

Can nPERST pins be used as PCIe reset if Intel® Stratix® 10 PCI Express* Hard IP is used as Root Complex?

Wujun
Beginner

Hello,

According to the Pin Connection Guildline, Pin Functions of nPERST[L,R][0:2] are input or I/O. When you do not use this pin as the fundamental reset, you can use this pin as a user I/O pin.

Is it mean when I use this pin as fundamental reset, this pin is input? If I use the PCIe hard IP as PCIe Root Complex, do I need to assign a GPIO as fundamental reset?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

I will share you one design , I hope it is publicly available with Root port .

Use the below as reference

Kindly have reference.

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/Stratix10PCIeRootPortWithMSI

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Is it mean when I use this pin as fundamental reset, this pin is input?

>>  Input

If I use the PCIe hard IP as PCIe Root Complex, do I need to assign a GPIO as fundamental reset? >> NO

Kindly find the explanation

When the PCIe HIP on a side (left or right) is enabled, the nPERST pins on that side cannot be used as general-purpose I/Os (GPIOs). In this case, connect the nPERST pin to the system PCIe nPERST signal to ensure that both ends of the link start link-training at the same time.

Wujun
Beginner

So if I use the PCIe HIP and use S10 as Root Complex (system side), which pin can be connected to the End Point (device side) PERST#?​ Because as a RC, S10 need a output PCIe PERST#, but the S10 nPERST pin is an input signal.

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Sorry to keep you to wait this much long , I have done my research, kindly find the details.

When the PCIe HIP , setting is made as root port , the pin_perst configured as input , the same I have verified with Stratix 10 example design.

Kind find the attached screen shot for PCIe HIP for your reference which I took from the example design.

Wujun
Beginner

Hi ,

The pin_perst configured as input?

->From the screen shot, pin_perst is just an internal signal, but I need a pin name which can be found in the Intel® Stratix® 10 Device Family Pin Connection Guidelines. Do you mean when S10 is setting as root port, nPERST pin can be used and be configured as output?

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

The pin_perst configured as input ?

>> Yes

From the screen shot, pin_perst is just an internal signal

>> Yes you are right, it is an internal signal . This internal signal pin_perst of each hard IP instance to the corresponding nPERST pin of the device. ( Reference pag no: 48) , also attaching the screen shot also for easy reference.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_s10_pcie_avst.pdf

Do you mean when S10 is setting as root port, nPERST pin can be used and be configured as output?

>> No

Wujun
Beginner

So how to control the PCIe reset? In this case, both Root port and End port are input signals. Connect a FPGA I/O pin with S10 nPERST and End Port PCIe reset?

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

I will share you one design , I hope it is publicly available with Root port .

Use the below as reference

Kindly have reference.

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/Stratix10PCIeRootPortWithMSI

Wujun
Beginner

Thank you. Refer to the schematic, an I/O is connected to the End Port PCIe reset.

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I have done further analysis on the design , I found the pin connection from the design and sharing for your reference ,

With the below analysis , I am kindly requesting to close the case

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

pin file from the project

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Kindly let me know if you need further assistance