cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Can't get DDR2 ALTMEMPHY to work on Cyclone IV E

Greetings. 

I am having some difficulty getting the Altera DDR2 ALTMEMPHY SDRAM controller to work on my Cyclone4E EP4CE30F23. I have configured the DDR2 controller to run in half-rate mode where the controller runs at 80/160 MHz which it derives from a 24 MHz input clock. 

It all seems to build OK in SOPC Builder and Quartus and I don’t appear to be getting any timing violations. 

The odd thing is that the presence of the DDR2 SDRAM controller somehow causes the on-chip SRAM to not function properly. I have tried running the CPU and the on-chip SRAM at 24MHz (the input clock frequency) and 80MHz (the half-clock generated by the DDR2 controller), but neither one works. 

I have built a test project that contains only a NIOS2 CPU, a PIO, 32kB of on-chip RAM and the DDR2 controller. When I disable the DDR2 SDRAM controller (via the ‘Use’ column in SOPC builder), I can build and run NIOS2 code in the on-chip SRAM. When I enable the DDR2 SDRAM controller, I am no longer able to run code out of the on-chip SRAM. The Eclipse console window shows the following: 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Processor is already paused 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloading 00010000 ( 0%) 

Downloading 00010ED0 (60%) 

Downloaded 4KB in 0.0s  

Verifying 00010000 ( 0%) 

Verify failed between address 0x10000 and 0x10907 

Leaving target processor paused 

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

I have attached the FPGA/BSP/App projects for my test application. 

Thank you 

Scott Wild
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Attached project files.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Is your design properly constrained, and does it pass all timing requirements? Parts of one design affecting another are usually an indication of timing problems.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I believe it is. 

I constrained my 24 MHz input clock and all PLL generated clocks with: 

create_clock -name {sys_clk_in} -period 41.666 -waveform { 0.000 20.833 } [get_ports {sys_clk_in}] 

derive_pll_clocks 

derive_clock_uncertainty 

and I made sure the megawizard generated files 'altmemddr_0_phy_ddr_timing.sdc' and 'cpu_0.sdc' are included in the project. 

Thanks 

Scott
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

What about the I/O pins with the DDR chip? If they are not constrained they should appear in red in the Timequest report (Unconstrained paths).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello. 

My TimeQuest report looks Ok. I ran the *_pin_assignments.tcl file and modified the default pin names to match the pin names in my design. 

Thanx 

Scott
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

It looks like the problem was related to the fact that I was using two x16 memory parts in parallel (effectively creating a 32-bit external memory interface). 

When I reconfigured my DDR2 ALTMEMPHY controller to only use one of my two memory chips, it works. 

I guess the question is now 'How do I properly tell the DDR2 wizard to use two x16 memory chips'? The only change in the wizard configuration that I did to make it work was to change the 'Total Memory Interface DQ Width' from 32 to 16. 

Thanks 

Scott