FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Cannot Simulate FIR II in VHDL

PDone
New Contributor I

I used both Quartus 18.1 and 20.1 to create a FIR II IP in VHDL.  Most of the files created are VHDL, but there is one file, altera_avalon_sc_fifo.v that is Verilog. I am simulating with Active HDL 10.5a Expert Edition VHDL License so I am unable to simulate.

Is there a workaround that I can use that will allow me to Simulate this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Glad to hear that it is working. For your information, the Modelsim Intel FPGA Starter Edition has lower performance than Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition which requires license. You can also use Modelsim SE for better performance. 

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just wonder if you have had a chance to try simulating with the Modelsim Intel FPGA Starter Edition which come together with Quartus to see if it works? If yes, this could be a workaround for your to proceed. Thank you.

0 Kudos
PDone
New Contributor I

I will try that and get back to you.

0 Kudos
PDone
New Contributor I

It works but it runs very slow.   

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Glad to hear that it is working. For your information, the Modelsim Intel FPGA Starter Edition has lower performance than Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition which requires license. You can also use Modelsim SE for better performance. 

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I believe the initial inquiry has been addressed. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
PDone
New Contributor I

The problem that Intel MUST fix is in the IP. When VHDL models are generated, they must include VHDL modules only, no Verilog sub modules at all so that it can be simulated in a VHDL only environment. Using ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION, which allows dual language simulation allows me to simulate this part of my design separately but it is to limited for me to do a full chip simulation. It is not worth it for us to purchase an additional Verilog Active-HDL license to simulate this one design.

0 Kudos