FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Creating subsystems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible to create subsystems in Simulink out of DSP blocks and not have it use the standard simulink IO blocks? If its not, when using the signal compiler with several sub systems created using only DSP builder blocks, will it connect these subsystems properly in the synthesised design. ie - will it use the standard IOs properly?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i don't quite understand the question but you can create subsystems that do not use the DSP Builder i/o blocks. you only need to use the i/o blocks to define the actual input and output to the whole system. individual subsystems within a single model can be connected without using DSP Builder i/o blocks. does this help?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All Im asking is - If I have a subsystem made out of DSP builder blocks, it puts standard simulink input and outputs on the block. What Im concerned about is if I connect severeal of these subsystems together (all created from DSP builder blocks, but have standard inputs and outputs) is the signal compiler going to connect these together as I intend? or does synthesis stop at DSP builder IO blocks?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Subsystem inputs and outputs should be handled correctly by Signal Compiler so long as you have DSP Builder Input and Output blocks at the outer boundaries of your design. 

Just give it a go - it shouldn't take too long to create a system demonstrating this.
0 Kudos