FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Custom IP Simulation in ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a Custom IP developed in VHDL and i am able to communicate with the NiosII Soft processor.But when i simulate the Nios II processor,the communication between the Nios II and the IP is not as expected. 

If i watch the slave_write and chip_select ,then in between the consecutive slave_write pulses,there comes a slave_read pulse also. 

How to avoid the slave_read pulses in between?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Usually, the slave write/read is controlled in the application code. You might want to check your code and see whether you have inserted the reads.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have checked the application code .I am only allowing two writes from the code.No read operation i am doing in between. 

But when i simulate in modelsim,it shows a read signal in between the two write operation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using the io.h to perform IOWR_32DIRECT? Is Nios the only master to your custom IP?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the write instruction writing a whole word, or only a partial word - ie is the processor reading the full word, modifying the data and then writing back the full word having left the top byte unchanged, or similar?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you using the io.h to perform IOWR_32DIRECT? Is Nios the only master to your custom IP? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes,I am using io.h to perform the write operation and Nios is the only master to the custom IP
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is the write instruction writing a whole word, or only a partial word - ie is the processor reading the full word, modifying the data and then writing back the full word having left the top byte unchanged, or similar? 

--- Quote End ---  

The write instruction is writing the whole word(32 bit data)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you trace back the read to Nios?  

What happens if you remove the writes from your application? 

What is your custom IP doing?
0 Kudos