FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5949 Discussions

Custom IP Simulation in ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a Custom IP developed in VHDL and i am able to communicate with the NiosII Soft processor.But when i simulate the Nios II processor,the communication between the Nios II and the IP is not as expected. 

If i watch the slave_write and chip_select ,then in between the consecutive slave_write pulses,there comes a slave_read pulse also. 

How to avoid the slave_read pulses in between?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Usually, the slave write/read is controlled in the application code. You might want to check your code and see whether you have inserted the reads.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have checked the application code .I am only allowing two writes from the code.No read operation i am doing in between. 

But when i simulate in modelsim,it shows a read signal in between the two write operation.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using the io.h to perform IOWR_32DIRECT? Is Nios the only master to your custom IP?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the write instruction writing a whole word, or only a partial word - ie is the processor reading the full word, modifying the data and then writing back the full word having left the top byte unchanged, or similar?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you using the io.h to perform IOWR_32DIRECT? Is Nios the only master to your custom IP? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes,I am using io.h to perform the write operation and Nios is the only master to the custom IP
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is the write instruction writing a whole word, or only a partial word - ie is the processor reading the full word, modifying the data and then writing back the full word having left the top byte unchanged, or similar? 

--- Quote End ---  

The write instruction is writing the whole word(32 bit data)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you trace back the read to Nios?  

What happens if you remove the writes from your application? 

What is your custom IP doing?