FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Cyclone 10GX PCIe Hard IP bring up

JBayl
Beginner

Hi,

My custom PCIe board with Cyclone 10GX is not getting recognized by my PC (no unknown device getting displayed on Device Manager).  I've programmed it with a basic FPGA code based on example project i've used on the Cyclone 10 dev board.

Any tips on how i can go about debugging this?  I can see refclk activity and perst at logic high.  But the core clock out of the PCIe hard IP is not toggling.  Stuck at logic low.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SengKok_L_Intel

From the signal tap, it can check the clk0 frequency, and it is based on the 100Mhz PCIe reference clock. It sounds like either the clk0 itself or the 100Mhz PCIe reference clock is not stable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

What is the target speed of PCIe, is this Gen2x4?

What is the status of the following signals?

1. ltssmstate
  2. current_spped
  3. lane_act

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Hi SK,

Its set to Gen2x1 64 bit, 125Mhz.

I found references to the signals you mentioned in Section 15.2 from here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10_pcie_avmm.pdf

I'll update you once I've managed to get Signal Tap setup.

Thanks!

r/jb

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having issues using Signal Tap.   In stand alone set up using custom test jig providing 3.3V power to the PCIe board, FPGA programming works, that's using either Programmer or Signal Tap.  I can also program the quad serial config device (Micron's MT25QU256) through Programmer.

But Signal Tap reports that I still need to Program the device to continue even after successful SOF programming.

When the PCIe board is inside a PC, Signal Tap can't program the FPGA.  It reports that CONF_DONE pin failed to go high on device 1.  There's only 1 FPGA device on the chain.  

Its looking like a hardware issue because 2 boards have the same behaviour, but the fact that Programmer works and Signal Tap doesn't confuses me a bit on where to look.  Any advice?

Just in case, the FPGA is a 10CX085YU484I5G.  Saw some posts pointing to Stratix device issues.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Could you please ensure you have saved the signal tap properly, and then enable it from the Assignments (Quartus Menu)-> Settings -> Signal Tap Logic Analyser -> Enable Signal Tap logic analyzer (with the correct file name) before compiling the design?

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Hi SK,

Signal Tap is now running OK.  I created the STP file based on Section 15.4 on ug_01145_avmm (2019.12.20) Intel Arria/Cyclone MM Interface for PCIe User Guide.  Most of the automatically added signals are red, so I searched for the nodes and re-added a few key signals.

I don't see any activity on the ltssmstate, currentspeed, or lane_act.  PERST also appears to be stuck HIGH.  I use PERST as a trigger when it transitions to ZERO, or when it has a zero value on Signal Tap.

Here are my steps:

1. power on PC with PCIe card inserted that's hooked up on a byteblaster on a different machine.

2. program the FPGA using Programmer (SOF).

3. Run Analysis on Signal Tap.

4. Initiate a Restart on the PC (through Windows, not Reset button) )with the PCIe card.  I'm assuming a reenumeration happens here. I can see PERST toggling when I do this PC restart  but Signal Tap isn't capturing it.  I've inserted a counter, and Signal Tap triggers on it when I set the trigger to a counter value.

cause core_clk_out_clk looks stuck.  What would cause this if refclk is toggling and the system isn't in reset? 

Power up sequence looks OK.  3.3V first, then 0.9/0.95, then 1.8, then 3V.  All within 100ms with the main 3.3V input from PCIe kicking it off. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Can you attach a simplified PCIe design that can replicate the problem here? I would like to do a sanity check on your design. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Attached. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Hi,

I've powered up 3 boards and all aren't getting recognized.  Main issue I see is that the core_clk_out_clk output of the HIP isn't toggling.  I tied it up to a counter to a test point and no activity.  PERST is high, which is OK, deasserted state.  Refclk is toggling OK.

I think that may be the reason why I can't see the ltssmstate and other debug signals not toggling.  No clock.  Any advice where I should look?

Power up sequence looks OK.  All sources OK within 100ms. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi, 

Could you please use the attached SOF file and capture the signal tap? I would like to see if I can spot anything.

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

It's getting triggered right away.   See attached pdf with screen shots. 

Result is the same with opening the stp file and programmer independently or adding the STP on a project, compile, and then Signal Tap programs the FPGA with the SOF you've provided.  freq_out is the only signal changing.

Noticed that the serdes_pll_locked and pll_locked_fpll isn't high.  I assume these are high asserted.  May explain why i'm not seeing coreclkout.  But what's causing it...??? 

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Power supply sequencing looks correct with about 21.6ms elapsed from when 3.3V (PCIe power input) is OK up to the last power group's Power OK (3rd) asserts.

Conf_Done asserts 415ms after 3.3V is OK.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Is the clk0 in your design a free-running clock? What is the frequency? Does the PCIe ref clock is from the RP (via gold finger), or it is a local clock?

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

clk0 @ pin U1 is a 27Mhz free running clock.  This clock is meant for our custom logic.

PCIe refclk is from PC through the gold fingers.  I have it at 100Mhz.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Could you please add the following in the QSF file, and then recompile the design and capture the signal tap again?

set_global_assignment -name VERILOG_MACRO "ALTERA_XCVR_A10_DISABLE_RESET_CONNECTED_TO_CAL_BUSY=1

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Attached pdf shows what i'm seeing on signal tap.

Added that line you suggested on qsf,  recompiled,  programmed the MT25QU256,  then power cycle.

Run acquire on SignalTap.  I used clk0 (27Mhz) free running clock as SignalTap clock source.

Rechecked pin connection guidelines and all looks OK.  It all appears to be pointing to PLL not locking...

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Could you please also check the CLKUSR, to ensure it is properly connected with the correct clock frequency and the clock is stable at the start of the device?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/dp/cyclone-10/pcg-01022.pdf

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Hi SK,

clkusr is sourced from a XG-1000CA 100.0000M-EBL3 powered @1.8V (group2 power supply)  with output frequency of 100Mhz hooked up on pin AA6 (10CXYU484).  It looks clean and OK at power up on a freshly powered board.

But not on a board that's been powered up too long.  Can feel the board hot with 1.8V getting periodically shutdown by regulator.

I'm using EN6340QI for 0.9 and VCCT/R_GXB.  EN5319QI for 3V and 1.8V.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi, 

I can't see anything that can cause the PCIe fPLL fall to lock from the Quartus project. 

To further understand the problem, I have added some additional signals, could you please help to capture the signal tap by using the attached SOF file?

0 Kudos
JBayl
Beginner

Hi SK,

See attached pdf. 

Configured the FPGA.  Acquired and got the signals as in the pdf.

Restarted the PC and tried acquisition multiple times and same output waveform with freq_out the only signal changing.

The power on sequence of the regulators looks OK and within 100ms.  What else could I still be missing...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi 

From the signal tap, even if using an fPLL with core mode, it is unable to lock. I have added an IO PLL into the design and use PCIe refclk as the reference clock. Please capture the signal tap by using the attached two sof files. 

0 Kudos