FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5986 Discussions

Cyclone V - LPDDR2 problems - Guaranteed read failure

Mikexx
Novice

This is an implementation on a bespoke board that compiles/synthesises but fails calibration as indicated by Signal Tap.

I have implemented the External Memory Interface Toolkit and really all that seems to tell me is the IP has failed immediately on

1: Read Calibration - Guaranteed read failure

I have scoped most[1] of the signals between the FPGA and SDRAM and they all toggle during reset or a calibration. ([1] There are DQs that are non-trivial to get to.)

The board has had the memory changed and is not something I want to do again.  The pinouts have been checked and rechecked.

The memory I am using is an ISSI device which should be JEDEC compatible and I have checked has the same set of Mode Registers as a Micron device.

Apart from writing my own diagnostic module to check things like operation of mode register etc, I feel utterly stuck.

The IP has a minimum speed of 166MHz which is a shame as the memory can run down to 10MHz.

Can anyone enlighten me to anything I can do to understand the failure and move forward?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yoichiK_intel
Employee

Hi

I do not know if this helps ,but there is  Hardware Debugging Guidelines in the document if you need additional debugging items.

starting page 565

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_plan...