FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5920 Discussions

Cyclone V: Meeting timing with HMC and DDR3-800?

jrrguzman
New Contributor I

Hi,

I'm using a Cyclone V-SE and trying to implement a HMC targetting a DDR3-800. After plugging in all the values from the vendor datasheet and running the whole compilation flow I can't get the design to meet timing (DDR Read Capture hold constraint fails miserably).

First of all I want to know if this is actually possible. If so, what are the main parameters used in the Read Capture setup/hold analysis?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Just to make sure your device can support this, fill out the spec estimator and check the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/exter...

Since you're using an SoC device, are you using the HPS hard controller, an FPGA hard controller, or a soft controller?

Are you running your user logic half-rate or quarter rate (if supported for your particular configuration)?

#iwork4intel

jrrguzman
New Contributor I

Hi @sstrell​ 

I've checked the link and in principle I should be able to run DDR3-800 (400MHz)

I've got the HPS running at DDR3-800 without a problem. However I also want to use the FPGA HMC and drive another DDR3-800 memory chip. However, after pluggin in the values from the manufacturer, the Read Capture hold analysis has a 7 ps violation.

In principle, the HMC for Cyclone V only allows full data rate on the user logic. I've included the current configuration (maybe you can spot what's the issue)

ddr3_config_3.pngddr3_config_2.pngddr3_config_1.png

Cheers.

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Can you provide the design.qar for investigation?

Thanks.